Can you cut a large block of soap with a heated wire?

Darbla

I don't sell so I don't have nice professional molds with the blades that will evenly cut bars of soap. But I can't get evenly cut bars with a knife because invariably the knife will slide at least slightly off the path I'm trying for as I go along. These are for Christmas presents, so while a little wonkiness is OK for that handmade look still I'd like to get them as even as possible, and I know I just can't manage that with a knife. So if I make a large block of soap, can I heat a wire and use that get through the soap? Or is this completely crazy?

I'm not sure about a heated wire, but I use a cheese slicer. I still don't get uniform bars but at least they are neatly cut. This is what I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Prodyne-MW-805-Metal-Cheese-Slicer/dp/B000VXQG7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354053798&sr=8-1&keywords=cheese+slicer+wood+and+metal

I think the tank and some of the other soap cutters actually use something like guitar wires. So, your heated wire might work just fine. Have you tried it without heating? CP is pretty soft and fairly easy to cut early on.

Guest OldGlory

I caved in and bought a mitre box at Lowes and a soap cutter. Wonky shaped cuts make me a little cranky, lol, especially when I'm trying to get bars to weigh pretty close to 4 oz.

Get a large taping knife to cut it about 12 inches wide works good and your hand will be steady.

http://www.toolup.com/marshalltown_2512_14312-12-x-3-bs-taping-knife.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp1098753&gclid=CKKzvKy28LMCFQWonQodJy8AYA

Edited by Barbara AL