Glass Thermometer Broke 1st time used....

Hey all!

I received a container candle kit from Peak's for Christmas. It came with a glass candy thermometer. I used it tonight for the first time and it cracked at the bottom allowing wax inside the thermometer. This is a deep frying, candy thermometer and the instructions say to place it in 2 1/2 inches of liquid for accuracy. I used a Presto Pot and clipped the thermometer to the side. I only heated the wax to 180. I'm wondering if I got a defective thermometer or if I did something wrong. Any ideas?

TIA :)

D

Thanks guys. That's what I figured. And yes, it must have cracked from the heat because it wasn't cracked beforehand. I don't really need it, I have a digital thermometer with a probe that is much easier to use. I thought since I had the glass one, I'd try it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a dork and using it wrong! Thanks all!

These candy thermometers are much maligned, but I have Taylor ones that I get a lot of use out of. They're perfect for clipping to the side of a Presto or the side of a pour pot. They read fast enough for most purposes and are more accurate than some digitals I've tried (though the Taylor digitals are quite accurate). When heating up a small amount of 2nd pour wax I can stir with one. So to me the digital probe thermometers are a little over rated, but the brand of candy thermometer is probably important. All the Taylor thermometers I've tried so far are very good.

Just thought I'd throw that out there while we're on the subject.

I have the same exact thermometer that I got at Walmart. I have only used it maybe 4 times and the first or second time it got liquid inside it and a whole bunch of moisture so I cannot even read it. I can't tell that it got cracked or what, but my thought was that this thing is just a piece of crap.

Laura