I have no idea where to start..

Hello everybody :wave:

I was initially drawn to this forum because I want to start making candles. As I awaited activation, I've read so many threads, I've just about gone cross eyed! I've also decided that maybe I should POSSIBLY start smaller..wax melts. I'm twenty years old, and back when I was about twelve my mom brought me to the local craft store, and let me get a gel candle kit. I was in love. Only later to find out that this 'kit' consisted of a bowl, a wick, and squeezing the gel into said bowl. Oh, and it smelled awful! Fast forward to now, I buy ridiculous amounts of candles, only to be disappointed that they don't burn evenly, and you can't smell them five feet away! I shudder to think, but I don't think I've ever had a good quality candle. So that is what brings me here, the quest to make some awesome candles, and melts! So, what should I know before I start? Any and all tips are welcome and appreciated :)

Welcome to craft server! This is a great place to start your journey learning how to make that perfect candle. LOL If you want to start out with melts there are some great waxes for making melts. First you need to decide if you want to use paraffin, soy, palm, beeswax, etc. to make them.

Typically tart and pillar waxes are harder waxes with a higher melting point. But some like to use softer waxes or combinations of waxes. I suggest you buy a good tart wax kit from a well known candle supplier. Peaks candle supplies has some great kits to start out with.

Oh honey!! I've been where you've been!! I've been there and I bought the T-shirt!!!

Some years back, I left a job I loved that had a highly stressful, unbelievable toxic environment. Part of my healing process was burning candles, and yes, most of them just didn't burn right. I finally found one (actually a very cheap pillar) that I loved the scent and it burned beautifully, yet when I went to buy a second one, they were no longer offered by the company and I searched and searched, but couldn't find a replacement.

In my search I burned so many crappy candles and I had one soot so bad that it ruined some curtains that I had made. I started reading here and there and said to myself, "I can totally make one better than this!!" And so it began.

And yes, I can, and do make them better than those store bought candles. However I am still searching for a scent that can even come close to that first cheapo pillar. I have kept the little end piece and will probably end up with a perfumer to get that scent.

Welcome!

I agree that melts would be a FAR easier place to start. They are all that I make.

With candles, SO MANY things come into play. Jar shape and size, wick type and size, which FO's work best with which wick, etc. I agree that deciding which wax you'd like to start with is an excellent place to begin.

The BEST advice that I have received here is that it takes professional products to create a quality product. I started with some stuff I got at a craft store and it was just okay. The materials and supplies that I have gotten from professional suppliers made a WORLD of difference.

Candybee has suggested Peak and I would agree. If you wish to try a bunch of wax types or even blend your own, Peak sells 2 pound samples of many waxes and that has been a nice way for me to try many without having a 10 pound slab or bag of each.

You will need a Presto pot or double boiler, a good scale and thermometer, ladle, something with which to stir, a pour pot and cups, molds or clamshells in which to pour. If you get a kit, some of these things will/may be in that.

If you are anything like me you will also need a jumbo package of paper towels!

Oh yes, I have a feeling I'll need TONS of paper towels!

I've looked on Ebay for presto pots, they look SO much easier. If I'm not mistaken the one I'll be getting has a spout, and comes with some beeswax tea light kit. Any thoughts on spout vs. non spout? I've bookmarked a few thermometers, scales, etc. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for payday to get everything. On the bright side, that leaves me with plenty of time to research. I can already tell I'm going to have the hardest time not buying every FO I see! Everything sounds so good, an expensive hobby indeed :yes:

Welcome to the forum! I definitely agree with starting with a kit. I started with the container kit from Peak- and SO glad I did! It is such a good way to start and get experience with candle making. I've progressed to just making melts now, I'm just doing it for me/family/friends for now, and I also make homemade lotion. I know you'll find many, many friendly experts on this forum that are willing to share information and give good advice. The search feature is a great way to research specific topics also. Welcome and have fun with your new hobby!

Oh yes, I have a feeling I'll need TONS of paper towels!

I've looked on Ebay for presto pots, they look SO much easier. If I'm not mistaken the one I'll be getting has a spout, and comes with some beeswax tea light kit. Any thoughts on spout vs. non spout? I've bookmarked a few thermometers, scales, etc. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for payday to get everything. On the bright side, that leaves me with plenty of time to research. I can already tell I'm going to have the hardest time not buying every FO I see! Everything sounds so good, an expensive hobby indeed :yes:

Yes, you have an option. Some here pour hundreds of pounds of wax a week and some of us (like me) a fraction of that. The spout is a matter of preference. Most here prefer the spout. I like ladling. I suppose because I am used to it and becasue I am mixing and pouring smaller amounts at a time than most people.

Researching is a good thing. You will be better for it and your candles will be as well. Sounds as if it is too late for a warning about FO's. I think you may already be in trouble! haha!

I just took my first Basic Candle Making Class in PA today and I'm in love. What a great class. Came home with some pretty decent looking candles for a first timer. I'm going to use Golden 464 (for jar candles). What wicks does everybody recommend? I bought CD-12 Heinz Pretabbed (10" jars). Is this a good wick to use? I'm hearing/reading that a cotton wick is the way to go???????

Thanks.

Luanne

Guest OldGlory

Hi Luanne and welcome to candlemaking!

I have been using 464 for about 5 years, and several other soy waxes before that. You will probably get several suggestions on wicks and it would be in your best interests to try a variety of different ones. Even different sizes in the same container but with different FOs. It can get a little crazy sometimes, but if you keep detailed notes you won't get as confused.

My preference in wicks for 464 is Premier. I am not sure how many places sell this brand - I get mine from Aztec in Knoxville, TN. To me, it's as close to perfect as I've found. (I mfg and wholesale, so I have poured at LOT of candles using this wax and these wicks.) My clients are happy with the finished product.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress!

I just took my first Basic Candle Making Class in PA today and I'm in love. What a great class. Came home with some pretty decent looking candles for a first timer. I'm going to use Golden 464 (for jar candles). What wicks does everybody recommend? I bought CD-12 Heinz Pretabbed (10" jars). Is this a good wick to use? I'm hearing/reading that a cotton wick is the way to go???????

Thanks.

Luanne

I use GF 435 and the CD wicks. In a 8oz square mason the CD 12 in working good (for now). I called the wick company? and got samples of the Premier wicks. Have some I can send you if they don't give them out any more.

Hello everybody :wave:

I was initially drawn to this forum because I want to start making candles. As I awaited activation, I've read so many threads, I've just about gone cross eyed! I've also decided that maybe I should POSSIBLY start smaller..wax melts. I'm twenty years old, and back when I was about twelve my mom brought me to the local craft store, and let me get a gel candle kit. I was in love. Only later to find out that this 'kit' consisted of a bowl, a wick, and squeezing the gel into said bowl. Oh, and it smelled awful! Fast forward to now, I buy ridiculous amounts of candles, only to be disappointed that they don't burn evenly, and you can't smell them five feet away! I shudder to think, but I don't think I've ever had a good quality candle. So that is what brings me here, the quest to make some awesome candles, and melts! So, what should I know before I start? Any and all tips are welcome and appreciated :)

I agree a kit is a great way to start. I guess you can get either paraffin or veg(soy) wax. Check out the different candle suppliers. A lot of them sell the kits and several have really good instructions on how to get started. Find a list of suppliers at the beginning of the General Candlemaking next click on Helpful-Links-For-Newbies next

Abbreviations / Supplier Links link Good luck...

Thanks Sharon. I found the sample pack of Premier Wicks on Aztec's Website for $8.34 for 5 of each size. I'll have to give them a try. I'm doing so much reading that my head is swimming - lol.

Luanne