Anyone render there own beef fat?

Candybee

I may have a beef fat source through the local farmers market I do every weekend. I asked the meat seller if they sell their beef fat. He's gonna get back with me next week.

Just wondering how much trouble it is to render and how do you get the beef smell out of it. In other words, is it worth it?!

I do. Some days when I do it I curse it others I find it not a hassle. It does not smell after but it does smell while doing it. I feel everyone should at least try it once. Make sure you ask for the suet (fat from around the organs) and ask if he will grind it up for you. The worse part for me is the grinding. Here is the way I do it but use very little water, I do not cover the fat with it. I maybe use a cup to 2 cups. http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soapmakingoils/ss/rendertallow.htm

Thanks for the info and the link! The meat vender did mention that he might have some organ fat. I couldn't remember at the time which one I needed. I'll ask him about it next week.

There is also a local buther shop "Three Fat Butchers" in town. I might swing by and ask them too.

BTW-- how much fat do you typically render at a time? I'm asking cause the link says 3-5 lbs and I think the final tallow rendered must be maybe a lb? I would like to make enough to fill a gallon bucket or at least a half gallon. I think having 3-7 lbs of tallow stored should keep me for a while.

Edited by Candybee

I've rendered beef and deer fat into beautiful tallow. As Lovely Lathers noted, everyone should do it at least once. It is a labor of love, and not something I would want to be required to do for production soap making.

The process is time consuming and messy. My typical yield was about 25-35% of usable clean tallow - 5 lbs of fat left me with about 1.5 lbs of clean tallow. That figure varies by the location of the fat and the fine grind.

There are some Youtube videos for rendering lard and tallow. I love tallow in soap and as a sub for palm but some people can be real squeamish about animal products in their bath and body products. I can always buy good tallow but finding lard that has not been hydrogenated is next to impossible and very expensive. The fat from around the kidneys makes "leaf lard" and is prized by chefs for pastry dough and flavoring certain dishes. HTH

Steve