Soap Loaf Petition

ChandlerWicks

The news was also posted on The Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild Facebook Page.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Last week it came to our attention that a private handcrafted soap company had successfully trademarked the term "soap loaf".

This word mark was published for opposition by the USPTO (U.S. Patent and Trademark Office) on February 5, 3013. The owner has been enforcing the mark on various sites, such as, eBay and having handcrafted soapmakers and suppliers that use the term "soap loaf" removed for trademark violation.

The term "soap loaf" is a generic term that has been widely used in the handcrafted soap industry for decades and the trademark of this term creates an issue for the HSCG Members selling products using it. Both soapmaker (handcrafter) and supplier members of the HSCG sell products using "soap loaf", either soap or molds so this has far reaching effects.

Last night, the HSCG Board of Directors made a decision to file a "Petition to Cancel Registration" with the TTAB (Trademark Trial Appeal Board) on behalf of the membership.

While we were in the process of compiling data and preparing our filing with the attorney we received notice that the company had voluntarily canceled the registration of this trademark. It is no longer necessary for the HSCG to take legal action and those of you that were using the term "soap loaf" to sell can now resume doing so without the fear of repercussions.

Just got an email update: She surrendered the trademark...................

"I am pleased to report that Ms Netti of Petunia Farms has submitted a "Surrender of Registration for Cancellation" for the trademark [soap Loaf] dated October 1, 2013 and has released this statement as an Open Letter on her website:

"When I received my trademark for the term, Soap Loaf it was not with the intention to upset or harm the business of any other soap maker or manufacturer. I have therefore decided to surrender the trademark for "Soap Loaf " but of course will continue to create my much-loved line for all my loyal customers and do

Thank you for your business and continued support.

JoAnn Netti"

Ms Netti's surrender of the Trademark "Soap Loaf", reflects great credit upon herself and shows exemplary strength of character. In so doing, her gracious Open Letter is well taken by all and we wish her the best of success in the future. For anyone who needs a copy of the legal document in order to regain good standing with their respective eCommerce platforms, you can contact Joann directly. Alternatively, I would be happy to forward the document to you.

Thank you!

Bonnie Garrity

Good Earth Spa

Bonnie@GoodEarthSpa.com"

Bonnie at Good Earth Spa was being generous with saying: Ms Netti's surrender of the Trademark "Soap Loaf", reflects great credit upon herself and shows exemplary strength of character. In so doing, her gracious Open Letter is well taken by all and we wish her the best of success in the future.

She went after sellers using the term and forced them to take it off their website didn't she? Not so innocent sounding to me. She knew what she was doing.... and I am not buying that she did not know the implications of trademarking a common term like soap soaf and how it would effect the industry. She caved under the pressure. At least she knows now the power and impact the industry can have.

Bonnie at Good Earth Spa was being generous with saying: Ms Netti's surrender of the Trademark "Soap Loaf", reflects great credit upon herself and shows exemplary strength of character. In so doing, her gracious Open Letter is well taken by all and we wish her the best of success in the future.

She went after sellers using the term and forced them to take it off their website didn't she? Not so innocent sounding to me. She knew what she was doing.... and I am not buying that she did not know the implications of trademarking a common term like soap soaf and how it would effect the industry. She caved under the pressure. At least she knows now the power and impact the industry can have.

JMHO, but perhaps she saw big lawyer fees coming in her future if she was going to fight to keep it...