Question about test burn for wick and test burn for FO

I am new to candle making. I made several candles yesterday in tins and test burned them today to see how the wicks did. I know the fo needs to cure. Can I now wait several days for the cure, and then finish test burning and also test for the HT as I test the wicks? I am wondering since I did a test burn before the FO could go through a cure, if I have messed up the HT for a later burn.

I am new to candle making. I made several candles yesterday in tins and test burned them today to see how the wicks did. I know the fo needs to cure. Can I now wait several days for the cure, and then finish test burning and also test for the HT as I test the wicks? I am wondering since I did a test burn before the FO could go through a cure, if I have messed up the HT for a later burn.

I don't think FO needs to cure.

We need to know the type of container you are testing with. Is it Glass or Tin? And what is the diameter size? And the type of wax paraffin, soy or parasoy?

Then we could get you in a ballpark of wick sizes.

I am using Joy Wax in 4 oz tins and an 8 oz tins. The 4 oz tins are wicked with a Hemp 838, one with a zinc 44-24-18 and one with a CD5. The 8 oz tins are wicked with zinc 51-32-18 and a zinc 62-52-18. All wicks are from Natures Garden as is the FO Coco Mango. My question isn't really about the size wick, although if you have a suggestion other than the ones I listed, I appreciate all advice. My question is since I did a test burn to see which wick burned the best without waiting several days for the candle to cure, can I now wait for the cure to test for the HT. I am wondering if doing a test burn before the candle cured will mess up the HT. I hope I explained myself a little better.

I am using Joy Wax in 4 oz tins and an 8 oz tins. The 4 oz tins are wicked with a Hemp 838, one with a zinc 44-24-18 and one with a CD5. The 8 oz tins are wicked with zinc 51-32-18 and a zinc 62-52-18. All wicks are from Natures Garden as is the FO Coco Mango. My question isn't really about the size wick, although if you have a suggestion other than the ones I listed, I appreciate all advice. My question is since I did a test burn to see which wick burned the best without waiting several days for the candle to cure, can I now wait for the cure to test for the HT. I am wondering if doing a test burn before the candle cured will mess up the HT. I hope I explained myself a little better.

Zinc wicks worked the best for me in parasoy blend...if there is more paraffin than soy in it. HTP wicks worked also.

I don't know how much soy is in that wax. I'm guessing yes, it could mess up the HT.

Maybe someone with more experience can help you.

Edited by BPP

• 2 weeks later...