question about wicks

Hi my name is Mark and I am new to this discussion board, its good to be able to talk with other candle enthusiasts! I've recently started making soy candles as well as palm wax candles. I've been making them in all sorts of different glasses and mugs that I find in thrift stores and have noticed that half my wax is not being melted in some. Is there different guidlines with soy wax as opposed to palm wax and is it as simple as measuring the diameter or does the shape of the glass matter as well? Sorry its such a longwinded question, its very confusing to me. Thanks:D

Hi there

I am also fairly new to candlemaking, but I can guarantee that I have read every single post on this board and in the archives. From this (and with very little practical experience) I would say that the answer lies in testing different wicks. There are people on this board that use a variety of different containers and mostly they all achieve a full melt pool and the candle burns down with very little or no wax residue. You are lucky that there is such a large variety of wicks available in your country, so I suggest you get a couple of sample packs and test each type and size of wick for your particular container and wax. Once you have found the right one, you might want to stick to the same container for a while instead of using too many different ones. Good sites to check our for sample packs is Peaks, CandleScience and Bitter Creek North. Also, do a search on this site under wick samples kits and you'll find more recommendations.

Hope that helps.:smiley2:

Katinka

PS Welcome to the board - you'll really meet some fantastic people here!