presto pot and Vat questions

Ok So I am looking at getting a presto pot right now. I want to get it from a good place. I was reading that with presto pots and vats you lose a lot of wax....in a presto pot about 1lb out of about 8lbs and with a vat about 7 lbs out of around 35. because of debris and where the spigots are.....that seems like a big wast of wax to me.....I get not wanted debris but can't you clean it or something.....I use a double boiler and rarely get anything in my wax. I have no animals so nothing like that floating around and I do a clean check on the wax before putting it in the pot...I can see how a small amount could get in it but not enough to justify losing so much wax...is this true do you really lose that much wax? Next question where is a good place to get a presto pot? Already made.

A pound of wax is really only about $1.70 or so. Mine does have debris. Not as much as some other waxes that I have used but it is there. Especially visible as my wax is left uncolored.

I prefer to ladle my wax but I still do not empty my pot to the last drop. I even ladle out of my big turkey fryer that holds 35-40 pounds of wax. In the case of that pot, the element is exposed in the bottom and must remain covered. So again, I just keep adding and adding wax. I have not drained it completely ever.

See I drain mine. I might lose about .2 to .5 oz of wax if that, but I pour all leftover wax into a plastic cup. when the wax hardens, that debris is at the bottom if there is any. You can get that out just shaving it with a knife. I clean my pot after every use, because I don't want the scent to stick around in it. 

Edited by Scented

See I drain mine. I might lose about .2 to .5 oz of wax if that, but I pour all leftover wax into a plastic cup. when the wax hardens, that debris is at the bottom if there is any. You can get that out just shaving it with a knife. I clean my pot after every use, because I don't want the scent to stick around in it. 

Oh, I should have indicated that my pots are only for melting wax. I do not mix in the pots.

Karen, to me I think 1.7 is a lot if you are making high amounts I know some people...and there are people on here who would lose $100's a month if they just let that wax go.....One person I know says she writes it off...but If you don't have to lose the wax then it seems silly to just let it go.....I am with Scented I love that idea to let it harder and then scrap odd the icky stuff....Brillient. Do you use a Presto Pot or a vat Scented?

Karen, to me I think 1.7 is a lot if you are making high amounts I know some people...and there are people on here who would lose $100's a month if they just let that wax go.....One person I know says she writes it off...but If you don't have to lose the wax then it seems silly to just let it go.....I am with Scented I love that idea to let it harder and then scrap odd the icky stuff....Brillient. Do you use a Presto Pot or a vat Scented?

I understand what you are saying. I COULD empty the pot each time but instead I simply add more wax than I need to pour.  I add about 20 pounds at each pour and pour perhaps 15 pounds. That leaves the element covered with wax to begin the next batch. So, in theory I waste no wax as I never clear it out and do not have to clean the element each time. This far I have discarded no wax. If you plan to make each batch (scented and dyed) in the pot you will be cleaning it out after each batch.

true I would not be mixing in the vat or presto pot either.....to much extra cleaning needed. also I like to get evrything to the perfect temp and I have a 5 degree window that I like to stick with lol. So what about pleaces to but presto pots...does anyone know of any?

Currently a presto pot, one with a spigot that I don't use. I don't have the space to go bigger at the moment. I know there was talk of running two prestos but heck then I have no counter space. Man it used to be closets were a premium when you rented, but really it's counter space. 

I don't know that it makes a difference, but I make pillars, so I pretty much use a cup to pull my wax, color it and pour, which is why I scent a batch of wax. For me, that makes about 11 pillars at one interval and costs less than running my stove all day and alternating between 10 pots. 

I formulate my wax to exact proportions and use every last drop. If you don't care about a little left over wax that's fine but there's no reason to not figure the exact liquid of wax + fo + color on your scale. I place my jar on the scale and pour (it does require that you not overfill jars) with no waste. You can take some tape for water heaters and secure a fine mesh screen over your tap (wax just gets crud in it one way or another) to prevent any trash in the candle. Take a paper towel (Thank you Lord for paper towels) wipe out your Presto and pour another batch. Buy a good scale and a good thermometer (not a candy thermometer but a digital). HTH

Steve