scent

I recently purchased a spiced vanilla & lemongrass soy candle loved the scent. Trying to make the candle at home can't seem to get the oil combinations right, smells to vanilla and doesn't seem to smell sweet enough. Does anyome know how much of each oil to use i'm using two cups soy wax. Thanks in advance

If there isn't a company that actually has a close dupe of it, it's going to be basically trial and error until you hit on it. Vanilla is tough because there are so many different variations of that scent. Never having smelled that combo, and not knowing which company you got the original candle you are trying to duplicate, it's impossible to give you a starting point. 

For me, vanilla really dumbs down a scent. What kind of combination(s) have you tried? Since lemongrass is overpowering, perhaps start with a 2:1 or 3:1 vanilla spice to lemongrass. But not knowing what the original scent is makes that hard to say what to do. If it's more vanilla spice than lemongrass, perhaps you might try a 5:1. 

dw home candles makes the scent. The thing of it is it has such a sweet smell plus it's yellow looking and you can smell the vanilla but not the spice it's weird  It's says on the candle DW spiced vanilla & lemongrass richly scented candle. It's also a soy candle it don't know if that makes a difference, I just started making my own candles, so i don't even know for sure which oil i should be using i'm using fragrance oil.

I don't see this fragrance listed on any references on the net. It looks like maybe a french vanilla with ginger and lemongrass. Spice is a wide category but ginger would be typical (I think) for lemongrass in the herbal vein with a sweet vanilla background. The finder doesn't have it and the few references are several years old but that doesn't mean anything. sorry.

Steve

Guest OldGlory

You also have to understand that anyone can name their fragrances whatever they want, as long as they don't infringe on any trademarks or copyrights. I could blend some fragrance oils, like ginger and maple, and call it Floral Holiday if I want to. In fact, people will name their fragrances something to throw off a candle maker that might want to duplicate their scent. If you don't smell a spice, maybe there's no spice in it. But, then again, it's possible that you don't smell it but someone else will. It is virtually impossible to tell what is in a fragrance unless you send it to a lab.