relief holes

Ok, I know to poke relief holes in pillars, but I thought that wasn't?? necessary in container candles? The reason I'm asking is because I've just lit a 100% palm wax container candle and it was as though there was a cavern under the surface! This is my first experience with palm...just love the way it looks! TIA

If you add stearic to containers you have to add very little as it will make the wax pull away from the sides. I have added 1/2 teaspoon to 1 pound. I find that is the highest I can go, and even at that it sometimes starts to pull away.

Since I have been using stearic I don't notice the caverns any more. I'm doing pillars with the palm though. I add it to unmold easier. Could stearic be added to the container wax too?

My palm pillars shrink right up, no need to have help unmolding. In fact, they shrink up quick, before I get the repour done!

Since I have been using stearic I don't notice the caverns any more. I'm doing pillars with the palm though. I add it to unmold easier. Could stearic be added to the container wax too?

I wouldn't use it. Palm is very pretty and I think putting the stearic in it and causing it to pull away from the jar or container is going to take away from some of wax. And you always have that possibility of it pulling away too much and rattling in the jar, and that's not good. For this wax, the best thing is to poke the relief holes as soon as it starts getting hard on the top and keep them open during the cooling process as much as possible. When doing the repour, just fill in the relief holes. Caverns can really cause you problems during burning. :)