Confused about Pomace

TAH

I had thought pomace was just another type/grade of olive oil and was going to give it a try, but then I'm on WSP site reading the information and it says, " Pomace Olive Oil is a blend of pomace and vegetable oil". So is that right? Its not pure olive oil? or sometimes is not pure olive oil? I read some of you use it in your formulas can anyone help me out with the pros and cons? 

True Pomace is a different grade, made by chemical extraction from the left over pulp from pressing for finer grades. 

Some places do call blends pomace (I found out the grocery store stuff near me is mostly canola with 10% olive pomace).

the stuff I get from Soapers a Choice is not supposed to be a blend. If WSP is admitting it is a blend of random veg oils then I would skip it.

• Like 1

Pomace is perfectly fine for making soap and makes great soap. You can use any grade of olive oil like extra virgin, regular, or pomace for soapmaking. Just beware that there are quite a few olive oil manufacturers that blend it with a variety of vegetable oils but still claim they are 100% pure olive oil. Roughly 80 - 85% of the store brands sold on American store shelves are adulterated.

Pomace has a higher amount of unsaponifiables and I stopped using it because of faster trace time. Pomace is extracted using solvents and is considered low grade for other applications. Pomace used to be a lot cheaper than extra virgin but that isn't much the case anymore, so why not go with a finer grade of olive. I understand that there is a severe shortage of Spanish oil. Does anyone know how expensive we can expect olive to get? I already sub out about 10 to 15% in Rice Bran Oil but have to watch the linoleic levels.

• 3 weeks later...

I have my soapers choice pomace now it looks quite a bit darker than the olive oil I used to use. Should I be worried it will not make very white soap? Just add extra TD? 

My soap is ivory colored, but I use other ivory colored oils like Palm, cocoa butter, etc. I never worry about titanium dioxide to whiten the base.

when making only OO, it ends up slightly ivory, the same as with refined OO.

my two cents, make a small batch and see if it changes your soap color.