Weighing FO

DasBreenee

What exactly would be the most accurate way to weigh FO? (Sorry if this doesn't belong here? I didn't know if it should go here or general) 

i usually do the math for whatever FO load my wax has. Then I put my container on the scale and tare it. But what exactly should you use to measure it? Is it more accurate to use grams? Or oz? Or what? I just wanna make sure I'm measuring correctly! 

Ive heard discussion about volume versus weight or something for FO which confuses me? 

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The smaller the unit of measure, the more accurate. I use mostly grams, unless the batch is small, the I use .1 or .01 units on a smaller gram scale. Bonus with grams is easy math. 

Thank you! I Actually use grams myself. I just didn't know if using FL oz was more accurate than grams. :)

Guest OldGlory

The FDA requires our candles to be labelled by net weight, so it might be easier to start out weighing everything.

When a supplier suggests a fragrance load for wax, they are using a measurement of weight. It's more accurate to weigh your candle ingredients.

On June 14, 2016 at 9:32 AM, OldGlory said:

The FDA requires our candles to be labelled by net weight, so it might be easier to start out weighing everything.

When a supplier suggests a fragrance load for wax, they are using a measurement of weight. It's more accurate to weigh your candle ingredients.

I make tarts. So I'm not sure if that makes a difference haha. 

I just meant weighing fragrance oil to mix with the wax itself. Like, when it says use 12% or whatever the FO load is. I didn't know if it was more accurate to weigh it by grams or oz or something else. 

I've heard a debate on people adding fragrance by weight instead of volume, and vise Versa. And which is right or wrong. Because obviously one fragrance oil can be more dense than another causing it to take up less volume. 

Guest OldGlory
On 6/12/2016 at 11:15 PM, DasBreenee said:

Ive heard discussion about volume versus weight or something for FO which confuses me? 

I was responding to this. And tarts would fall under the same regulations.

10 hours ago, DasBreenee said:

I make tarts. So I'm not sure if that makes a difference haha. 

I just meant weighing fragrance oil to mix with the wax itself. Like, when it says use 12% or whatever the FO load is. I didn't know if it was more accurate to weigh it by grams or oz or something else. 

I've heard a debate on people adding fragrance by weight instead of volume, and vise Versa. And which is right or wrong. Because obviously one fragrance oil can be more dense than another causing it to take up less volume. 

Weighing out your FO is the most accurate. For example, if you fill a 1 lb container to the brim with FO that may not be the same as 1 lb of FO. You are right about different FOs having different weights depending on their ingredients. Just another example of why weighing it is best. Volume gives you the 'fill' amount for a container but does not necessarilly mean its the same weight. You have to weigh the FO to know exactly how much you are using.

With candles its even more important as the wax will determine the % of FO it will hold per pound. So if your wax holds 10% FO you will want to weigh out 10% per lb of wax (PPW).

It gets even more important if you plan to sell your candles or melts. To keep costs down you want to accurately weigh out your wax and FO. The more candles/melts you make the more FO you use. If you are not weighing it you can waste it or not use enough. Either case scenario has the potential to damage your business.

BTW-- just because a wax may hold a 12% FO load does not necessarily mean you should use 12%. Most waxes do fine with a load of 6 - 8%. To be sure you should always test starting with the lowest % rate. I have been working with wax making candles and melts since 2006 and have yet to find a wax that needs 12% FO load to have a great scent throw. This includes waxes manfactured to hold a load of 12%. Not a single one needed 12% or even 10%.

Using more FO than you need can also play havoc on candles and melts. Melts can end up being messy and greasy and unappealing looking. Overloading a wax with FO will does not make them smell better or last longer. That is a myth and not a reality. With candles it can become an even bigger problem with your wick or even the potential of creating a fire hazard risk is excess FO pools on top of the wax.

13 hours ago, Candybee said:

Weighing out your FO is the most accurate. For example, if you fill a 1 lb container to the brim with FO that may not be the same as 1 lb of FO. You are right about different FOs having different weights depending on their ingredients. Just another example of why weighing it is best. Volume gives you the 'fill' amount for a container but does not necessarilly mean its the same weight. You have to weigh the FO to know exactly how much you are using.

With candles its even more important as the wax will determine the % of FO it will hold per pound. So if your wax holds 10% FO you will want to weigh out 10% per lb of wax (PPW).

It gets even more important if you plan to sell your candles or melts. To keep costs down you want to accurately weigh out your wax and FO. The more candles/melts you make the more FO you use. If you are not weighing it you can waste it or not use enough. Either case scenario has the potential to damage your business.

BTW-- just because a wax may hold a 12% FO load does not necessarily mean you should use 12%. Most waxes do fine with a load of 6 - 8%. To be sure you should always test starting with the lowest % rate. I have been working with wax making candles and melts since 2006 and have yet to find a wax that needs 12% FO load to have a great scent throw. This includes waxes manfactured to hold a load of 12%. Not a single one needed 12% or even 10%.

Using more FO than you need can also play havoc on candles and melts. Melts can end up being messy and greasy and unappealing looking. Overloading a wax with FO will does not make them smell better or last longer. That is a myth and not a reality. With candles it can become an even bigger problem with your wick or even the potential of creating a fire hazard risk is excess FO pools on top of the wax.

Thank you both for your answers. 

So then I am doing good by measuring by grams when I do my fragrance oils? I didn't know if measuring by oz or grams was more accurate. I find myself measuring in grams because I find the math easier to do.