Zoning?

Jane42

I been trying to figure out ALL the things that need to be done IF I decide to sell my candles. I only plan on going to shows at this point, no plans on anyone coming to my home. If I do that, then I should get a tax id and purchase insurance.....do I also have to look into zoning? If nobody is coming to my home, is it necessary to go to the zoning board and let them know I have a business in my home?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. You have all been an enormous help so far!

Jane

Where I live, zoning matters. As long as you are working at home (even if it is something that doesn't bother anyone like artist, candle maker, or author) and live in a zoned residential area, you have to get a conditional use permit for a home occupation. They don't care if customers go to your house or not. This permit is necessary for applying for a business license. Of course, it may be totally different where you live.

You need to contact your state's Department of Revenue. They can provide you with information about requirements for obtaining tax ID's. If you're selling stuff you're supposed to be collecting tax. Plenty of people work fleamarkets and craft fairs and don't. They are breaking the law.

As far a zoning goes, yes, you should inquire with your Board of Zoning to find out if you can legally manufacture candles in your home. I don't know what scale you plan on doing, but if you're keeping a large volume of flammable liquids (fragrance oils, etc.), I think that's something the fire department and your neighbors would want to know. Zoning looks into things like that as well as traffic issues that might develop--such as if 18-wheelers will be making deliveries in your residential area, or if chemicals might leak into the sewers, etc.

There are thousands of people who make candles out of their homes and who sell without collecting taxes, and their all getting away with it. Then there are those who make someone mad and suddenly the IRS gets a little tip about their home-based operations.

Just a few things to think about...

Guest EMercier

That all depends on where you live. When I inquired about a business license, they asked me the nature of the business and where it would be located, but here in the city I don't need anything for zoning.

I live just outside of the city.Sorta country.Lots of fields but houses nearby.Alot of open space.Yes I have wondered about this.ZONING.I am getting my tax ID and sure will find out something then.

So far also just shows but did have one lady come to my house.Not big business for just one person.I want to do a OPEN HOUSE for Valentine's Day but need to work on TAX ID fast.Lost Social Security card and need that to get tax ID.

LynnS

WHen you go to get your business lic. they'll tell you, if you need to look into zoning. If they don't say anything, I just wouldn't ask.

If you live in one of those communities that has restricted deeds, you may run into problems there, too. Those garden home communities often have a ban on home businesses in thier covenants.

Here where I am in Minnesota, zoning is a big issue. I have to apply for a permit, pay $125 to stand before the city board, tell them about my business, and have them tell me whether they will let me do it or not....all before I can file and get my business license.

Good luck! wish me some too....hehe

Here where I am in Minnesota, zoning is a big issue. I have to apply for a permit, pay $125 to stand before the city board, tell them about my business, and have them tell me whether they will let me do it or not....all before I can file and get my business license.

Sounds pretty much like what I had to do ... except I had to pay $150.

Good Luck to you!!

I would guess that the first thing I should do is find out if I will even be allowed to make the candles in my home before I even apply for my tax id, etc..........