HELP! Is my candle supposed to look this way?

My candles been burning for awhile now, few hours, and the scent no longer is there...I am using joy wax and NG  coconut cream pie FO with a CD wick and vybar.  Are my candles supposed to look separated like this? Why is it after awhile I can no longer smell it? Even if I leave the room and come back in.

joy.jpg

2 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Wowzers - I'm not familiar at all with joy wax but the pictures sure looks like that is a torch of a wick, way too big 

is the jar hot?

how much FO?

what wick and size?

Im not home at the moment to look at the paper for what I used, but the wick is mushroom clouding I think its called? But if you ignore that. Is the wax supposed to look like this?

• Like 1

That has way, way too much wick. With something burning that hot I would not be surprised if the scent combusts at too high of a temp to be smelled. And, when the candle wax remains molten like that it acts like a candle melt and diffuses its scent into the air at a higher rate, kinda burning it out. 

I would drop down 3-4 wick sizes in a brand new candle.

10 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

That has way, way too much wick. With something burning that hot I would not be surprised if the scent combusts at too high of a temp to be smelled. And, when the candle wax remains molten like that it acts like a candle melt and diffuses its scent into the air at a higher rate, kinda burning it out. 

I would drop down 3-4 wick sizes in a brand new candle.

I'll see what I can do. Should I switch to zinc instead of CD wicks for joy wax? I'll make a candle tonight and light it in 2 days. Unless you guys think I should let parasoy joy wax cure longer? NG told me 2 days.

WHOA that wick in that jar is WAY TOO BIG.. I would go down at least 2 wick sizes. At least. And try again You probably can't smell it because the scent has burned off with that big of a wick.. I gave you some advice on your other post but didn't see this one yet. 

At most when wick testing, you should never have more that 1/4" - 1/2" melt pool in a candle after several hours of burning. 

Good luck and let us know how your next try goes. 

• Like 1

I had to look up Joy Wax. 

"... combination of soy wax, other vegetable waxes, food grade paraffin, and proprietary ingredients."

So, it's impossible to know what the blend is, but they have this proprietary blend and suggest you might need to add vegetable shortening?

"In the event that joy wax is less creamy than a previous batch, we suggest that you add 1 ounce of crisco shortening per pound of joy wax.  Crisco is a low melt point soy product.  This will allow the wax to cling better to your jars, and will reduce the incidence of frosting and cracking of the wax."

(source)

Regarding vybar ... if you use too much, from what I've read, it can actually bind your scent too much.  According to what I see about the Joy Wax, you aren't supposed to add any additives, except for the advised shortening, lol, if it's not creamy enough.  I would skip the vybar.

I agree, the wick appears way too large for that container diameter.  About the "separating" -- don't worry about the two-tones, that's simply the melted wax and the unmelted wax, but with too large a wick, it's accentuated, which is why it doesn't look right.

• Like 1

Okay so I have these wicks:
Eco 14 - Natural Cotton Candle Wick
CandleScience 50 Piece Natural Candle Wick, Large

I use two candles jars:
Circular: height 3.4", Diameter is 2.75"
Square: (as pictured above) 3" height 3 1/2" from corner to corner Width is 3"

Everyone I see suggest using zinc wicks. Is this zinc wick appropriate for my candle jars: Which of these do you think is best?

-" 7 inch zinc core candle wick (44-28-18z)- great for candles with a diameter of about 2-2.75 inches. Also nice for cylinder candles.  "

- "44-24-18 Zinc Core 6" Pre-Tabbed Wick - good for medium (2-3") pillar and container candles and large (3-4") pillar candles"

ECO 14 is huge. 

Those containers I would start with ECO 6 or a CD 8 or 10.

depending on the amount of paraffin the zinc might be a good option in the joy wax. I have never used it so I really can't say.

here is the WickIt chart link for reference. These tests and recommendati No we're made based on simple paraffin. 

http://www.wickit.net/recommendations.html

8 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Um... On another note... Please tell me that the reflection on the jar is you? :o 

Are you talking about that skull looking thing? I am nowhere near the photo haha There are books behind it.

Still waiting for the response on which wicks to get, as I want to be sure.

29 minutes ago, CyanideNoodles said:

Still waiting for the response on which wicks to get, as I want to be sure.

Here's an answer - maybe you didn't see it? 

14 hours ago, TallTayl said:

ECO 14 is huge. 

Those containers I would start with ECO 6 or a CD 8 or 10.

depending on the amount of paraffin the zinc might be a good option in the joy wax. I have never used it so I really can't say.

here is the WickIt chart link for reference. These tests and recommendati No we're made based on simple paraffin. 

http://www.wickit.net/recommendations.html

34 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Here's an answer - maybe you didn't see it? 

To which I said:

11 hours ago, CyanideNoodles said:

http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/zinc-core-candle-wicks-100-wicks

Should I get the 2.5 inch or the self centering 3 inch?

I want to double check as I do not have the best of luck picking out wicks. I'm thinking I need the 3 inch one. Which of these fragrances are best to test with? I was told something floral so I searched flaming candles floral section:
Love spell
Volcano (Type) Fragrance Oil
Cool Water (Type) Fragrance Oil
Beach Wood Fragrance Oil

Edited by CyanideNoodles

6 minutes ago, CyanideNoodles said:

To which I said:

I want to double check as I do not have the best of luck picking out wicks.

The length is not the measurement. You need to identify the size from the chart. IMG_0761.PNG

for a container 2.75 inches wide, zinc wicks between 34-40-z through 51-32-18z are recommended. That is a LoT of sizes to step between. Having not used joy wax, which if I remember reading is part soy, I would aim for the middle of the chart somewhere. 44-20-18 or 44-24-18. I do not use zinc in my candles, but it is where I would probably aim. 

Rather than buy 100 of a size, I found buying test sets with 5 of each size in the package was a great investment.

18 minutes ago, CyanideNoodles said:

Love spell
Volcano (Type) Fragrance Oil
Cool Water (Type) Fragrance Oil
Beach Wood Fragrance Oil

Most (not all) floral and water scents are typically light scents, unless you get one like a good lilac, or honeysuckle. 

Typically when testing, it's always best to get your wicking down to a great burning candle before adding scent. Then you will know if the scent you use will require you to change your wicking (which typically happens, there is no 1 size fits all for wicks when it comes to scenting your product) 

It looks like you are leaning toward using zinc wicks, so you should get a zinc wick sampler kit (has about 2-3 of 4 or 5 different sizes) 

As we keep trying to tell you, you need to test until you get it right, and that will take time, money, and effort. Everybody has to go through it, and everyone has worked hard at perfecting their craft. We will help guide you to where you need to be, but we can't spoon feed you all of the information you need. One of the reasons is because what works great for 1 or 2 people, may or may not work for you for several reasons. 

This is why testing your product for yourself is so important. We WANT you to succeed, but we also want you to put in the work it takes to get there. 

8 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Most (not all) floral and water scents are typically light scents, unless you get one like a good lilac, or honeysuckle. 

Typically when testing, it's always best to get your wicking down to a great burning candle before adding scent. Then you will know if the scent you use will require you to change your wicking (which typically happens, there is no 1 size fits all for wicks when it comes to scenting your product) 

It looks like you are leaning toward using zinc wicks, so you should get a zinc wick sampler kit (has about 2-3 of 4 or 5 different sizes) 

As we keep trying to tell you, you need to test until you get it right, and that will take time, money, and effort. Everybody has to go through it, and everyone has worked hard at perfecting their craft. We will help guide you to where you need to be, but we can't spoon feed you all of the information you need. One of the reasons is because what works great for 1 or 2 people, may or may not work for you for several reasons. 

This is why testing your product for yourself is so important. We WANT you to succeed, but we also want you to put in the work it takes to get there. 

You do not need to be so rude about it, the previous moderator is talking about the same two I am talking about and the chart itself says those two are right on target. I am literally going off what people are saying, no one even told me to get a kit. I have asked about those two and if I should get those two and which scents I should get EXACTLY for testing so I do not know why you are saying I am not going to be testing it but each of your messages to me have seemed like you are talking down to me. I am just trying to figure this out. I am obviously putting the work in if I am going to be testing all this?? I do not know why you keep, in the other thread as well, talking down to me as if I am not.

Edited by CyanideNoodles

Breathe in. Breathe out. 

I would look for a sample kit of ll the wocks in the series. It will save so much time, money and aggravation. When testing new wick series is my waxes I generally use three. One that I "think" will do the job based on charts and xperience, and one size higher and lower to compare. 

In the recent C3 wick and wax can see how wildly the charts can be "off".

a quick way to get up to speed with your wax is to sacrifice a cake pan. Hot glue all the wicks in a series you think should work to henbottom of the metal cake pan. Pour a couple of inches of wax into the pan. Let the pan sit undisturbed for a few days. Then light and watch what happens in all of the burns. You can recycle the wax in future tests. This type of testing cut the gues work out for me very very quickly. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CyanideNoodles said:

I use two candles jars:

Circular: height 3.4", Diameter is 2.75"
Square: (as pictured above) 3" height 3 1/2" from corner to corner Width is 3"

Everyone I see suggest using zinc wicks. Is this zinc wick appropriate for my candle jars: Which of these do you think is best?

I personally don't like using zinc core wicks unless the candle requires it, such as with gel candles.  They tend to mushroom quite a bit and don't seem to burn as clean as cotton or paper, so can be a little "smelly" from the metal, I guess that's what it is.  That aside, if I were to experiment, I'd say that the 2.75" candle with your blended wax might work good with a 51/32/18 and the 3" with a 60/44/18 -- yet I will say that I've tested a similar square container and in order to burn out nicely to the corners, I used two smaller wicks about an inch apart -- if you were going to do that with zinc, my guess might be two of the 30-series wicks.  I have found that the HTP 104 can be a good substitute for a 60/44/18 zinc.  My candles lately have been soy containers, but I don't use zinc wicks in them due to reasons I've already mentioned.

16 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

I personally don't like using zinc core wicks unless the candle requires it, such as with gel candles.  They tend to mushroom quite a bit and don't seem to burn as clean as cotton or paper, so can be a little "smelly" from the metal, I guess that's what it is.  That aside, if I were to experiment, I'd say that the 2.75" candle with your blended wax might work good with a 51/32/18 and the 3" with a 60/44/18 -- yet I will say that I've tested a similar square container and in order to burn out nicely to the corners, I used two smaller wicks about an inch apart -- if you were going to do that with zinc, my guess might be two of the 30-series wicks.  I have found that the HTP 104 can be a good substitute for a 60/44/18 zinc.  My candles lately have been soy containers, but I don't use zinc wicks in them due to reasons I've already mentioned.

I can try getting other wick kits.

HTP-31 - 6" length

HTP-41 - 6" length

HTP-52 - 6" length

HTP-62 - 6" length

HTP-73 - 6" length

HTP-83 - 6" length

HTP 93 - 6" length

HTP-104 - 6" length

HTP-105 - 6" length

HTP-126 - 6" length

HTP-1212 - 6" length

HTP-1312 - 6" length

Thats what the HTP kit comes with. I also am getting love spell in 4oz to test it all in. Does that seem good for you? I am super clueless about wicks. I think that's always been my issue with my candles. Thanks for the reply!