Help!!!

Spellkast

I am sooo confused right now!! I'm running a co-op with Peak's and most everyone is paying with paypal instant transfer. I was reading on paypal that they charge 2.9% for EVERY transaction, not just CC transfers. I didn't factor that into people's orders, and I'm really worried I'm going to lose money on this co-op now. Is this true? Will they really charge me for each transaction? HELP!!! Waaaaahhh!!!

It depends on what type of account you have.

If you have a Personal account, there should be no fees but u cannot accept CC. If u have Business or Premier account- the 2.9% applies regardless on all incoming transactions. Cash, instant, e-check or CC.

Thats why I have 2 Paypal accounts- one for co-ops only.

But since you are using USPS boxes and charging a 4.00 Hostess fee, that should cover you if that is the case.

That's the problem- I'm not. I'm only charging $3 and a LOT of people are having me ship through fedex and UPS...and I had to buy a thing of peanuts (which was $30 from the only place I could find them at.) So I read on paypal that if you have a personal account, you can't accept CC's OR debit cards (which are instant transfer, correct?) So what the heck can you accept with a personal account? Should I open one with my other email address for this co-op? I just really don't want to go into the negative because of this, ya know? Live and learn! :)

Oh my God, $30 for peanuts! How much did you get? I've thrown so much of that stuff away, I can't stand it. I would have gladly sent it free of charge to ANYONE for just what it costs to ship it, or to swap for some oil or something.

Maybe we should I should start a recycling program for peanuts. Well, now that Christmas is over a lot of shipping is over, so I shouldn't be seeing so many peanuts.

But, I do have Yankees on the way, so I will have a lot of cardboard packing for the 22oz jars. It's a heavy duty molded cardboard that the 22oz jars sit in--sort of like what loose apples sit in at the grocery store. Could anyone use those?

Paypal instant transfer/direct cash transfer just means the buyer must have an account with paypal. The payment can be funded by credit card, debit card or whatever. But this is transparent to you. If you have not received payments yet, you should open a personal account right away and provide the new email to your co-op buyers. There won't be any fees when done this way.

When people say personal account cannot accept CC, it just means the buyer cannot give you a CC number. As long as the buyer has a paypal account, it is considered a direct cash transfer and it doesn't matter how this transfer is funded. Hope this makes sense.

Oh, the bag of peanuts is HUGE! It was the only size they had...and my husband HATES the stuff, so he throws out peanuts the second they enter our house..I had to convince him I really NEEDED these or these would be in the trash, too! :) And since I'm picking up the Peak's order, they don't use peanuts :( And I really don't want to run the risk that someone's bottles break because I was too cheap to buy some peanuts. I wish I didn't have to buy the industrial size bag of them, but our office max said they'd be getting them the end of the month (which was too late) and the only other place he knew of that sold them was our UPS store. And that was the only size they had.

I did open a personal account through paypal, before I sent any invoices really...just one got sent with my other account, which I'm glad for, otherwise I wouldn't have realized the fee problem until too late!!! And so everything is rectified! :) Feel stupid now, but hey, I got scared!!! LOL...When almost everyone's order was over $150, the fees would have been well over my hostess fee!!! Thanks for all of your help everyone!!!! I appreciate it!

Waaah! You live close enough to Peak to pick up your order? Lucky you, I'm so jealous! Hey, if that bag of peanuts is huge, it'll probably last a few years, you can use it for future co-ops or whatever, so $30 is not that bad when you spread it out over a long time.

What are the benefits of premier and how do I get a personal account? Thanks
To get a personal account, just apply for it in the same way as your premier account, except you would select "personal" when asked what type of account you are signing up for. The main benefit of having the premier account is you can sell things on your website and have your customer pay you with a credit card, customer does not need to have a paypal account.

I've never bought peanuts before, I always recycle mine. Since Peaks fo's are all in plastic bottles you could've just used newspaper when shipping out. It works!

The only Peaks FO I have was given to me. It is in a Peak GLASS container.( 1 Lb, I think) I was checking out their site and they have their FOs displayed in GLASS.

I am disappointed to find out that they are using plastic. I realize that glass is heavier, but I prefer it, and thought that they might be one company that is still using it.

I am disappointed to find out that they are using plastic. I realize that glass is heavier, but I prefer it, and thought that they might be one company that is still using it.

Yeah, they now use amber plastic bottles.

Oh, just remembered, their 1 oz sample size bottles are still glass.

When people say personal account cannot accept CC, it just means the buyer cannot give you a CC number. As long as the buyer has a paypal account, it is considered a direct cash transfer and it doesn't matter how this transfer is funded. Hope this makes sense.

I don't think that is correct. I have never given anyone my CC number. Yet, I have tried changing the funding source on a paypal payment to my cc instead of checking account and promptly received a message from that person that they cannot accept cc. Unless they were mistaken...

No, they wouldn't be mistaken. I've got a personal account, and I cannot accept payments from a premier account that's funded through a credit card. The paypal software knows where their money comes from.

They can do the direct payment from $$ that are sitting in their account, but that's the only way I can accept $ from them, if it's funded in cash.

If they fund w/ their CC, the email you get when they pay says "you cannot accept this, unless you upgrade to our premier". So you have to deny payment, and explain it, and everyone gets all confused.. :)

That's so true! I joined a co-op that bunny hosted a LONG time ago and it was my first time using paypal and thank GOD she was so understanding! I tried sending her payment like 8 times and it was denied! LOL...finally she explained EVERYTHING to me and said that it had to be funded through our bank account or she couldn't accept it (due to the fees.) So I just paid her the fees that were accrued using the CC. And with this personal account, I have had a couple of people try to use their account funded with a CC and had to deny it and explain the exact same thing to them. It's a pain in the butt, and I feel really bad asking for their money...LOL...don't know how I can run a business! LOL. But the personal account is great- and thank you ALL for your help!!! Much appreciated!

I don't think that is correct. I have never given anyone my CC number. Yet, I have tried changing the funding source on a paypal payment to my cc instead of checking account and promptly received a message from that person that they cannot accept cc. Unless they were mistaken...

You're right, It's not correct...I work for paypal. Personal accounts have a $500.00 month receiving limit and they cannot receive cc pmts (for the most part). It will give you the option to accept or deny the pmt if you accept it, then you are accepting the fact you are upgrading your account to a premier/business in which you will be charged fees on all incoming transactions.

help_q.gif Do Personal account receiving limits apply to all payment types?

pixel.gif

help_a.gif No. Receiving limits only apply to the following payment types: eBay Items, Auction Non-eBay, and Goods Other (Website sales). All other payment types will not deduct from your available monthly limit.

User Agreement.....oh so helpful :-)