Has anyone tried Lilac or Coffee FO from Candlewic?

GailC

I have an order started for Candlewic and find I need your basic Lilac and straight Coffee FO's.  Candlewic has both, but they are super cheap, and I'm aware of the adage 'you get what you pay for.'

The Lilac is listed in their best sellers.  I did a search here for best Lilac and found some people like Aztec's.  They also have a Starbucks Coffee which sounds good.  But I hadn't planned on ordering from them just now...what to do? What to do?  

Well not to be an enabler or anything, but I would probably bite the bullet and order! LOL!

I wish I'd tried either one but I haven't so I can't help you there. They do have some good FO's though. Love their sugared vanilla shortbread! 

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

Well not to be an enabler or anything, but I would probably bite the bullet and order! LOL!

I wish I'd tried either one but I haven't so I can't help you there. They do have some good FO's though. Love their sugared vanilla shortbread! 

I just started ordering from them this year and have gotten several I really like.  Berry Tangerine and Summer Fresh are just two of them.  I have the sugared vanilla shortbread, because of the rave reviews on here but haven't put it in wax yet. I have several fall scents from there that I'm anxious to try also.

I got a bottle of the inexpensive Spice and it just smells weird OOB.  Also got a sample of their cinnamon, and didn't care for it.  It's also quite cheap.  So I am leery of buying any more that are $10 or less a pound. :)

I asked about their Lilac and Coffee in a Facebook group. Had one positive and one negative review on the Lilac, so that doesn't help much. :)  Apparently no one has used their Coffee FO at all.  

I think I'm going to go with Nature's Garden or Aztec.  They both have some other fragrances I want to try.  Wouldn't you know I just placed an order with NG last week...before someone ordered a Lilac candle.  I'm almost out of my Lilac Breeze from Mill Creek.

Edited by GailC

Oh, I would just buy some more Lilac Breeze from Mill Creek, but they don't have plain coffee FO.  ICS has Coffee Bean, which has gotten many good reviews on this forum, but they don't have Lilac.  I need both for customers.  

Sometimes I will buy from eBay if I'm just needing one oil for something but if it's going to be a regular thing I worry about getting the same scent again if the ebay seller goes out of business or something.

RE has a coffee scent and lilac I think. I actually like the coffee scents I've gotten from JS better than the ones from ICS but they aren't straight coffee if that's what you're looking for. I think I do have the straight coffee from ICS. I don't think I've ever put it in wax though because I prefer the "flavored" ones. 

I really hope you are able to find what  you're looking for. It's a never ending process!

10 hours ago, GailC said:

got a bottle of the inexpensive Spice and it just smells weird OOB.  Also got a sample of their cinnamon, and didn't care for it.  It's also quite cheap.  So I am leery of buying any more that are $10 or less a pound

I know what you mean about their spice scent. I bought a bottle of it too and it does smell different OOB. I also have one by the same name from ICS I think and it has an off smell. I can't remember what they smell like in wax though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Belinda said:

Sometimes I will buy from eBay if I'm just needing one oil for something but if it's going to be a regular thing I worry about getting the same scent again if the ebay seller goes out of business or something.

RE has a coffee scent and lilac I think. I actually like the coffee scents I've gotten from JS better than the ones from ICS but they aren't straight coffee if that's what you're looking for. I think I do have the straight coffee from ICS. I don't think I've ever put it in wax though because I prefer the "flavored" ones. 

I really hope you are able to find what  you're looking for. It's a never ending process!

Thought I'd let you know I decided to go with Nature's Garden because they carry CD wicks which I needed.  I got The World's Best Fresh Brewed Coffee, so we shall see.  Also their lilac and apple cinnamon.  For new scents I chose Cottage Breeze because I had a sample of that from Candlewic, and Apricot, because of all the fruit scents I have, I don't have an apricot.  Hadn't even thought about Apricot until I read about it on here somewhere while doing a search for something.  I had to get 5 to get a dollar off per bottle.  That is my logic. :)

• Like 2

On 6/13/2017 at 6:01 PM, GailC said:

Thought I'd let you know I decided to go with Nature's Garden because they carry CD wicks which I needed.  I got The World's Best Fresh Brewed Coffee, so we shall see.  Also their lilac and apple cinnamon.  For new scents I chose Cottage Breeze because I had a sample of that from Candlewic, and Apricot, because of all the fruit scents I have, I don't have an apricot.  Hadn't even thought about Apricot until I read about it on here somewhere while doing a search for something.  I had to get 5 to get a dollar off per bottle.  That is my logic. :)

Please share your thoughts when they come in! I love a lot of NG's oils. I think I have their cottage breeze and maybe even the one from CW but can't remember off the top of my head. I need to check that out tomorrow and see if there's a difference. I have snickerdoodle latte from NG and love it so the coffee scent you got should be good too.

On 6/20/2017 at 2:14 AM, Belinda said:

Please share your thoughts when they come in! I love a lot of NG's oils. I think I have their cottage breeze and maybe even the one from CW but can't remember off the top of my head. I need to check that out tomorrow and see if there's a difference. I have snickerdoodle latte from NG and love it so the coffee scent you got should be good too.

The description of NG's Fresh Brewed coffee says not to judge it OOB, so I won't but man, it is stinky! :)  And oh so strong.  I can smell it when I open the fragrance oil cabinet.  I haven't had a chance to put it in wax yet, because I've been busy on other orders.

The Lilac smells like lilac. :)  I am not a floral person, but it smells nice in wax.  I haven't burned it yet though.  Their Lilac had a lot of good reviews. I've got lots of NG FO's  and I've only ever gotten one I can't stand and it's Guardian Angel.  I bought it because of the name.  Maybe I could mix it with vanilla or something. But that's not bad out of the 40 I've bought.  Like I said, I'm not crazy about the flowery kinds like Honeysuckle and Lily of the Valley, but some customers like them. Their Eucalyptus & Spearmint has been a big seller for me.  It's not my favorite though. I bought their Tropical Blast this spring, and it is very good!

I am relying on NG's advice and believing that the coffee will smell wonderful once I put it in wax. :) 

Oh, the Apricot smells nice OOB.  Not too sweet.  The Cottage Breeze smells good and refreshing.  Not exactly like CW, I don't think.

3 hours ago, GailC said:

The description of NG's Fresh Brewed coffee says not to judge it OOB, so I won't but man, it is stinky! :)  And oh so strong.  I can smell it when I open the fragrance oil cabinet.  I haven't had a chance to put it in wax yet, because I've been busy on other orders.

The Lilac smells like lilac. :)  I am not a floral person, but it smells nice in wax.  I haven't burned it yet though.  Their Lilac had a lot of good reviews. I've got lots of NG FO's  and I've only ever gotten one I can't stand and it's Guardian Angel.  I bought it because of the name.  Maybe I could mix it with vanilla or something. But that's not bad out of the 40 I've bought.  Like I said, I'm not crazy about the flowery kinds like Honeysuckle and Lily of the Valley, but some customers like them. Their Eucalyptus & Spearmint has been a big seller for me.  It's not my favorite though. I bought their Tropical Blast this spring, and it is very good!

I am relying on NG's advice and believing that the coffee will smell wonderful once I put it in wax. :) 

Oh, the Apricot smells nice OOB.  Not too sweet.  The Cottage Breeze smells good and refreshing.  Not exactly like CW, I don't think.

The plain coffee I got from ICS smells bitter to my nose OOB so maybe that's just the way they smell before wax. I've never put it in wax because of the bitter smell. I bought it to blend with something and just never did.

I'm like you, I don't care for florals at all. NG has one called chocolate orchid though that I love and it has a sort of floral smell to it but also chocolate which is probably why I like it LOL! I got a new floral from somewhere (can't remember off the top of my head right now) that had base notes of something else that I thought was very nice. It's still not my choice of what I want melting in my house. Pouring a straight floral usually gives me a headache anyway. I still do it though because I have some customers that want lavender and stuff like that. My biggest sellers have been leather and leather blends, YUK!!!! Texans and their leather LOL!

I like NG's oils too. There are very few of the many I have that were duds in my opinion and even then that could just be my nose. Some that I thought were duds got great reviews. 

I'll have to try their Eucalyptus & Spearmint. That seems to be liked by quite a few in this area too. I don't really care for it. I'm a foodie person so give me a sugar cookie, banana nut bread or lemon pound cake scent any day!

I'm glad you've been happy with them. They're a good company and have really good prices on their oils. I love Peak's oils too but they are priced a little higher than most so I tend not to purchase from them as often as I do NG.

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

The plain coffee I got from ICS smells bitter to my nose OOB so maybe that's just the way they smell before wax. I've never put it in wax because of the bitter smell. I bought it to blend with something and just never did.

I'm like you, I don't care for florals at all. NG has one called chocolate orchid though that I love and it has a sort of floral smell to it but also chocolate which is probably why I like it LOL! I got a new floral from somewhere (can't remember off the top of my head right now) that had base notes of something else that I thought was very nice. It's still not my choice of what I want melting in my house. Pouring a straight floral usually gives me a headache anyway. I still do it though because I have some customers that want lavender and stuff like that. My biggest sellers have been leather and leather blends, YUK!!!! Texans and their leather LOL!

I like NG's oils too. There are very few of the many I have that were duds in my opinion and even then that could just be my nose. Some that I thought were duds got great reviews. 

I'll have to try their Eucalyptus & Spearmint. That seems to be liked by quite a few in this area too. I don't really care for it. I'm a foodie person so give me a sugar cookie, banana nut bread or lemon pound cake scent any day!

I'm glad you've been happy with them. They're a good company and have really good prices on their oils. I love Peak's oils too but they are priced a little higher than most so I tend not to purchase from them as often as I do NG.

I'm like you...a foodie  candle person.  But I have found that I do like the blended floral and fruit.  One of my very favorites is Cantaloupe & Lily from Aztec.  Love it!  Another one I really like, which I just poured, is Peach Magnolia Raspberry from Tennessee Candle. 

I'm sure glad no one has asked for leather. :)  But I just got a request for Pipe Smoke; seems their grandpa used a cherry blend pipe tobacco.  So naturally I had to order some. Which gave me an excuse to order the Sea Salt & Sand Dunes from RE.  I had gotten a sample of that and loved it.  Even though I wanted to try a bunch, I held it down to 4.  I also got da Lime in da Coconut just because I love the name.  It smells really good....more coconut than lime OOB, and nothing like Coconut Lime Breeze I already have.  Black Currant Tea was a special, and I got it because I did a search for relaxing, and it came up.  I like it too!  The Pipe Smoke actually smells good...it's sweet OOB and I don't really smell smoke but hopefully will once it's put into wax.  

Now I want to make candles with all of them...but still have others to make for customers first.  Oh I do love getting new FO's!  And free samples!

20 hours ago, Belinda said:

The best Lilac I have used to far is from Northstar, their ultra concentrated. Apricot I would have to say, JS - Apricot Freesia. JS's Apricot Freesia has the absolutely BeST scent throw and is true to form. I do melts, soy, and it was so strong it scented my whole house, downstairs. JS Starbucks coffee ice cream rocks! One of my sample testers said it lasted her 3 days on scent throw, but all of mine have been putting off at least 2 days on scent throw.  I plan on getting all of JS coffee scents this fall and doing a coffee line. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scents and Warmers said:

The best Lilac I have used to far is from Northstar, their ultra concentrated. Apricot I would have to say, JS - Apricot Freesia. JS's Apricot Freesia has the absolutely BeST scent throw and is true to form. I do melts, soy, and it was so strong it scented my whole house, downstairs. JS Starbucks coffee ice cream rocks! One of my sample testers said it lasted her 3 days on scent throw, but all of mine have been putting off at least 2 days on scent throw.  I plan on getting all of JS coffee scents this fall and doing a coffee line. 

Belinda has also mentioned how much she likes JS coffee ice-cream . I will for sure have to try it out. Which wax do you use for your melts, if you don't mind 

me asking. I'll understand if you'd rather not share :) Also, if you guys are looking for a ice tea + lemon /tea + lemon, WSP Ice tea twist is fantastic + really 

lasts a good amount of days IMO :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moonstar said:

Belinda has also mentioned how much she likes JS coffee ice-cream . I will for sure have to try it out. Which wax do you use for your melts, if you don't mind 

me asking. I'll understand if you'd rather not share :) Also, if you guys are looking for a ice tea + lemon /tea + lemon, WSP Ice tea twist is fantastic + really 

lasts a good amount of days IMO :) 

GW416 is what I normally use. However I've been mixing lp416 with KY recently because I made the mistake of ordering the LP416 thinking it was the same wax as GW416 and my tops were caving. Doing the blend has smoothed out my tops. I max scent at 10% on FO unless my oils are from CC. I also use coconut oil to maximize scent throw. 

5 hours ago, Scents and Warmers said:

Yes, I just put some on the shelves at my shops this week. Great scent throw. I'd be glad to list all the ones I've tried from JS, CC, NG, and NS if you are interested. 

Thank you so much, thats so nice of you :) 

13 hours ago, Scents and Warmers said:

I love her coffee scents! There was one I didn't get a strong throw from and I think it was Snickers coffee but it might've been me more than the oil. She has some really good oils. She has some duds too but that's with all of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2017 at 10:13 PM, Belinda said:

I love her coffee scents! There was one I didn't get a strong throw from and I think it was Snickers coffee but it might've been me more than the oil. She has some really good oils. She has some duds too but that's with all of them.

I love the Snickers coffee.  You might want to try Bulk Apothecary; they carry Snickers coffee too and it's throw is super powerful.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, soshiegirl said:

Do you want me to send you a ounce sample to play with?  If so, just PM me.  I've got your covered!

OMG you are the sweetest. Thank you for the kind offer but I'll be placing an order soon. Trying to decide what all to order . Decisions - decisions lol !

• 4 weeks later...

Just a follow up on this topic.  I got a sample of Candlewic's Coffee today and guess what it smells like?  Coffee!  Yay!

Although two of my friends smelled the Nature's Garden Fresh Brewed Coffee candles I had made and both bought one on the spot, I just can't stand it, and will probably never use it again.  So strange that some people smell coffee with that one while others smell burnt popcorn.

I was leery of trying Candlewic's because it was so inexpensive, but if it is still good and strong once I put it in wax, I have found my straight coffee FO.

I can cross RE's Coffee House off my sample list to buy.  I am going to order a sample of their Caramel Cafe though.  It sounds good.

I know this is late in replying but I have always had great luck with the Fresh Coffee from CS. I also sell a ton of Brazilian Coffee & Pure Cane from Aztec, it has a more cream and sugar kind of smell or what we here in MA call a regular coffee.

Karen in MA