C-3 "9 oz straight jar" wick performance

lilo

Hi! 

A newbie here! I have been working with C-3 soy wax for literally a couple months. I have tried the following wicks; Eco 8, Eco 10, Eco 12, CD 10 and CD 12. So far ECO 10 and ECO 12 seem to be overwicked. ECO 8 and CD 12 are the most decent ones, but when conducting the wick testing it takes longer than 4 hours to reach a full melt pool, is this something I should worry about?! I haven't test them with FO yet. Anyone with experience in this same combination? (C3 Soy wax. 9 oz straight sided jar)

C3 has quite a high melt point, like TallTayl said, forget about a full melt pool on the first burn it will catch up later.

When you add fragrance it's going to change your wicking dramatically depending on the FO so don't invest too much time on candles with no fragrance unless you plan on making a lot of those.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ErronB said:

C3 has quite a high melt point, like TallTayl said, forget about a full melt pool on the first burn it will catch up later.

When you add fragrance it's going to change your wicking dramatically depending on the FO so don't invest too much time on candles with no fragrance unless you plan on making a lot of those.

The reason we learned to do the first Unscented baseline is so we can tell when a new case of wax is messed up. Saves a lot of time And $ troubleshooting bad batches. Much faster And cheaper than customer complaints and recalls. 🤗

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

The reason we learned to do the first Unscented baseline is so we can tell when a new case of wax is messed up. Saves a lot of time And $ troubleshooting bad batches. Much faster And cheaper than customer complaints and recalls. 🤗

That makes total sense. I used to do things a different way with soy because the batches varied too much for me. I made 3 candles of the same FO but add it at different temps, I found a huge difference in HT sometimes. (I never do that with any other types of wax though it doesn't work out for me at all.) Then if the wicking is off I'll make a couple more to adjust that, but to be honest I've rarely had to do it, I've had problems with garbage hot throw. Both of my last lots of C3 and 464 have the worst HT I've tested in quite a while, which is odd because they're both different companies. Therefore I won't touch straight soy anymore, the closest I get to it now is EC26  I've gone through a lot of that stuff and never had to adjust anything ever. I've probably just jinxed myself now lol. I hate that it's more expensive, but it saves me a lot of time messing around making the candles because I can pour it at almost any temp and get a lovely smooth top.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ErronB said:

Thank you! 

• Like 1