Supplies on hand....

My main question for everyone is:

How many supplies do you keep on hand?

Wax: how many ponds and how many differnet types?

FO's: any limit to how many you have and keep?

Wicks: same as above

Containers: same as above

Color chips/blocks: Which do you use and how many colors do you keep

And any other supplies I missed (and I know I missed something. LOL)

Thought I was wierd in wanting to have cases of supplies. I live in a double wide 4 bedroom mobile home with one son. He has2 of the bedrooms and a friend just back from Iraq is staying in the extra room. I have a 14x16 storage room that I plan on storing my wax in when it comes in. In the near future I will either clean that room out for candle making since it is already with electrical ect or build another room just for my candle making. I think I am going to out grow my kitchen real fast. LOL

Depends on your budget. How much can you afford??

I buy a new wax by the slab for testing, if it works for me then by the case. No. of waxes depends on what you want to make. Top have a thread here showing how 1 wax could have many diff. uses. Try to find a local supplier. Frt is a killer.

Wicks - start off with a sampler, most suppliers have them, then you get a few of the main sizes for testing. If you get a winner you can buy larger qtys.

Color - if you are really good the primary colors are all you need. I not that good.

Containers - what do you want to make? I have gotten a few of several types for testing. Again try to find a local supplier.

FO - just don't go there. If it sounds like it will smell good I have to try it. Terrible, Terrible Addiction. I swear it is worse than smoking or drinking.

I'm spending about twice what I bring in. :cry2: You have to sell a lot of ornies to pay for a lb of FO.

Hi,,,I started with a Pillar kit from www.peakcandles.com as they offer a lot of great stuff,,,If not with a kit,,then I would say,,,1 slab 10LBs of a blend (depending on what you wan to make),,,sampler wicks they come 5 in each pack,,,FO(fragrance oils),,I liked peaks and you can get a sample of 10 1oz bottles for 19.95 and then I use Kerr wide mouth Canning Jars and you can get them locally @ a grocery store and some wal-marts,,,,ooppsss forgot to add,,,you can use a double boiler to melt your wax,,or go to the left of this post and you will see,,,General Information,,,,most of us use the Presto Kitchen Kettle from Wal-mart to melt our wax,,,Just READ, READ, AND READ some more and Take LOTS of notes!!! CandleTech is LOADED with GREAT information!!!

Welcome to your New ADDICTION!!!

Yes I admit it,,I am a FO addict!!:rolleyes2

I think it depends on how much you make and whether you're in business or not. I buy wax and jars by the pallet, FO by the pound (or larger if the company offers it), wicks by the 1,000, etc

The more you buy, the more you save, but it has to work financially for you as well as storage wise...

I think it depends on how much you make and whether you're in business or not. I buy wax and jars by the pallet, FO by the pound (or larger if the company offers it), wicks by the 1,000, etc

The more you buy, the more you save, but it has to work financially for you as well as storage wise...

I agree with Trish...the more you buy the better your cost are for making candles. I haven't bought by the pallet yet..but once I found my combo for my wax ordered in 200 lb increments. (now, I just ordered a sample of some greenleaf wax to see what the hype is).

When I order FO, if it is a scent that I know I am gonna use up...order in 2-3 lbs lots of each scent. This way you are getting more bang for your buck when having to pay for shipping. But there are times when you just need a few items and have to bite the bullet and place a small order.

Forgot to mention I have 2 presto pots. Started with one then upped it to two. Those babies are soooo nice to use. I would love to find a turkey fryer when I have a little more space and am doing this on a larger scale. My idea is to start up a business witht his after all the proper testing and all. Just from the few batches I have made so far, I know which ones will only go on my candle warmer. :P

Editied to add: I have found that ordering a lagrer amount of supplies is easier on the pocket book. LOL

I haven't gotten to the pallet yet, but would if I had room. One pallet would probably cut my five room apt. with a hallway down to 3 rooms and I know I have things I have to get to in each room lol. We're getting to where I can't really order FO by the pound any more. We're moving up to 2 pounders, but I think we should just make more room and have kegs of some of this stuff lol.