Old problem, new question

I'm still trying on my old batch of 415. Poured 8 oz. jelly jar with 9% FO (the wax supplier goes even higher), off white (barely) and a HTP 126 wick. Two hours later it is almost out and not a full melt pool. two and a half hrs. later it is out. Jason mentioned adding crisco and am playing around with amounts but wondered if anyone uses KY 115 soy that melts at a lower temp. as an additive? Wondered about adding this or trying to add some paraffin (ordered some Harmony blend as it has a lower melt point but now reading that it smokes fairly regularly...(I need to do more homework before I let my credit card do the walking! LOL). Any help? I hate to go to a bigger wick in such a small jar. TIA. Beth

I wouldn't want to have to add anything to any wax just to keep it lit.

My first suggestion is to cut back on the FO. Try 6% with the same wick and see if there's an improvement. If so, you know the load is a big part of the problem. Just because a wax can hold a high amount of oil doesn't mean it's a good thing. The fragrance you're using could be a particularly heavy one, that would make matters worse.

Second, if the HTP isn't getting it, try a different type of wick, you might have remarkable results.

All adding Crisco is going to do is make it more viscous and harder to wick.

I use the 415 wiht 3% BW, and have wicked the 8 oz jelly jar. I don't go over 7% FO load and have not had to use larger than an HTP105. The 126 is the biggest HTP made, the closest one to it is the LX30, and it is a little smaller than that. If the 126 is not big enough, and reducing the FO load does not help, and the wick is not initially trimmed too short, then the wax may have a probem. How old is your box of 415?

geek

Hi Geek. The wax is about a year+ old. I know it is from the Dec o4 batch that some had problems with. I just can't bring myself to throw out the rest (about 170 lbs.) left after a year of on and off testing. I will cut back on FO %, didn't mean to get that much in. This wax can throw really good at 8-9% as the first tests (before the 200 lb.) were very positive and I got good results with an Eco 6 in a full FO load and color in the jj. That's why for now I want to mix something with this and get a decent candle and then after this is gone, go from there. Maybe I should just put it down to experience and start anew but I guess I'm to stubborn. It does make good tarts...but that is a lot of tarts! Beth

I'm still trying on my old batch of 415. Poured 8 oz. jelly jar with 9% FO (the wax supplier goes even higher), off white (barely) and a HTP 126 wick. Two hours later it is almost out and not a full melt pool. two and a half hrs. later it is out. Jason mentioned adding crisco and am playing around with amounts but wondered if anyone uses KY 115 soy that melts at a lower temp. as an additive? Wondered about adding this or trying to add some paraffin (ordered some Harmony blend as it has a lower melt point but now reading that it smokes fairly regularly...(I need to do more homework before I let my credit card do the walking! LOL). Any help? I hate to go to a bigger wick in such a small jar. TIA. Beth

I use a mix of half KY126 and 115...with beeswax at 2-3%...I have been using htp 105's but am finding I can step down to a 93 on a lot of them. HTH

I have about that much left myself. I was wondering if I could throw it in the yard for bird food. I tried mixing with the 415 I have now, good stuff, but just didn't work. I have given up and going to pitch it, Don't even like to make tarts with the stuff. I already have about 400 lbs of other waxes I could use for firestarters or what ever. Seriously do you think I could feed it to the birds, it is a shortening?

I was not working here at the time and I have never seen any wax from this batch. It is my understanding that it was a batch that fell into the higher melt point range. If this is the case then I would suggest adding 402 or vegetable oil to it. You want to bring the melt point down and the best way to do this is to add something softer to it. Crisco will not make it harder to burn because it has a lower melt point. It will actually make it burn easier.

Call me if you can not get it to work. I will go through it with you.

jason