Release of Liability Form for Private Labeling?

islandgirl

Got my first private label gig...:cheesy2:

The company is going to make up and put their own labels on my products.

My question is: Does anyone use a Release of Liability Form??

The owner was talking about wrapping a ribbon around the candles,

which scares me because someone could light that candle with the ribbon still attached and start a fire.

Any suggestions on what I need to do???:smiley2:

Even if it's private label, don't you add a line or two about safety?

You could add "remove all wrappings before.." or something like that.. the company could print this on the labels they're going to put on your products. don't know, just my two cents!

Got my first private label gig...:cheesy2:

The company is going to make up and put their own labels on my products.

My question is: Does anyone use a Release of Liability Form??

The owner was talking about wrapping a ribbon around the candles,

which scares me because someone could light that candle with the ribbon still attached and start a fire.

Any suggestions on what I need to do???:smiley2:

Even if it's private label, don't you add a line or two about safety?

You could add "remove all wrappings before.." or something like that.. the company could print this on the labels they're going to put on your products. don't know, just my two cents!

She will be making her own labels to put on the products.

I did ask here to put a warning about removing the ribbon before lighting the candle, but you never know if they will.

I will put the basic warning lable on the bottom of the candles.

I read on the candle cauldron about a release for liability form and was just wondering if anyone does this?

As Beth VT said : FYI....a form will NOT release you from all liability. You, as the manufacturer, are still responsible for any liabilty stemming from an unsafe, defective, ill-produced product, etc. HTH.

I know that and I do have insurance but what if they add that ribbon and it caught fire.

Since I did not put the ribbon on the candle , would I still be held responsible?

She will be making her own labels to put on the products.

I did ask here to put a warning about removing the ribbon before lighting the candle, but you never know if they will.

I will put the basic warning lable on the bottom of the candles.

I read on the candle cauldron about a release for liability form and was just wondering if anyone does this?

As Beth VT said : FYI....a form will NOT release you from all liability. You, as the manufacturer, are still responsible for any liabilty stemming from an unsafe, defective, ill-produced product, etc. HTH.

I know that and I do have insurance but what if they add that ribbon and it caught fire.

Since I did not put the ribbon on the candle , would I still be held responsible?

A well-drawn release may well relieve you of liability for anything that was done to the candle after it left your control. You may not be liable even without a release, but it's best to take all the precautions you can. I would find a reputable busines attorney (not one who does a little of everything, but one well versed in business law) and talk to him before you complete the private labeling agreement. It's well worth the time and money to make sure all your bases are covered.

I would think you would be wise to have a document signed by the purchaser stating that they acknowledge they are liable for any damages, directly or indirectly, that may occur as a result of additional decorations, ornamentation, or adulteration that in any way alters the original appearance, purpose, or function of the product they are purchasing.

A well-drawn release may well relieve you of liability for anything that was done to the candle after it left your control. You may not be liable even without a release, but it's best to take all the precautions you can. I would find a reputable busines attorney (not one who does a little of everything, but one well versed in business law) and talk to him before you complete the private labeling agreement. It's well worth the time and money to make sure all your bases are covered.

Angela, maybe you can have a business on the side to offer your legal services to your fellow chandlers.... *HINT*HINT*;)

Angela, maybe you can have a business on the side to offer your legal services to your fellow chandlers.... *HINT*HINT*;)

That would be great, but how on earth could I get licensed in every state, lol. I'm worried enough about taking one bar exam this summer:shocked2: .

Seriously though, I know people are really hesitant to go to a lawyer (and to pay money for one), but it is really a good idea to do some proactive planning rather than waiting until something bad happens.