Can anyone answer this?

I was thinking about marketing today and wondered why major brand candle companies don't advertise on TV. Yes glade does but not the others. I have seen some TV ads, in my area, of gift shops saying they carry certain brand candles but that's all I've see on TV about candles.

I'm goimg to check on ad pricing in my area on the 3 major channles ABC, CBS & NBC.

Maybe because they've been reading the advertising market surveys and are finding out that TV ads are no longer as effective now that there is so much recording, time shifting, and such. I just read an article, will have to go find it again, that showed that advertising on TV isn't as effective anymore, that advertising at the purchase point, on the shelf, is much better...

Maybe because they've been reading the advertising market surveys and are finding out that TV ads are no longer as effective now that there is so much recording, time shifting, and such. I just read an article, will have to go find it again, that showed that advertising on TV isn't as effective anymore, that advertising at the purchase point, on the shelf, is much better...

I have to agree on that...but only personal opinion I did not see the article. I would be more apt to buy something advertised at the purchase point than TV commercial, I and most people I know just mute during commercials..lol Seeing Glade's ads on TV has never made me want to buy a candle from them. I think candles are probably hard to sell on tv..smell factor is gone. Most would be more apt to buy the candle if they can smell it. Sorry not much help just my opinion on it. I think you would do better with an ad in the paper or maybe on your local radio station directing people where they can go to see your candles maybe;)

I just read an article, will have to go find it again, that showed that advertising on TV isn't as effective anymore

What? OK you're going to have to elaborate on that one, Robin, LOL. People pay millions for ad spots on TV. Maybe it depends on what you're marketing.

What? OK you're going to have to elaborate on that one, Robin, LOL. People pay millions for ad spots on TV. Maybe it depends on what you're marketing.

I think it's when you're marketing. I know I just heard about KFC's new campaign - there is a secret code to get a free sandwich but the only way to get the code is to view the commercial in slow motion via VCR or DVR. People with tivo are just skipping commercials these days.

But as to the original question, I would think direct marketing would work better for candles - mailings or e-mails. You are more assured of hitting your target market.

Personally, I have never bought anything because I saw it on a TV commercial. They amuse me sometimes, but don't affect my shopping.

Major brand candle companies don't need to advertise on tv. Their products are placed with well known department store chains who do all of the advertising for them. They may not mention candles in their ads, but their weekly ads get foot traffic in the store, and consequently, shoppers that are buying their candles.

A candle is a candle, and none of them are doing anything particularly revolutionary to warrant a commercial on tv for them. They may change the jars they come in, and change the scents, but that's about it as far as consumer interest goes. Glade has been coming up with innovative air freshener choices--different "methods" compared to what they are known for--aerosol sprays.

Candle makers also have "clubs", catalogs, and websites that people will frequent on their own. I don't think too many people love Glade air freshener so much that they would want to sign up for a catalog with their latest offerings.

Oh, I know people still spend the bucks on TV ads, after all, we still have to fast forward through them, right?

The article was more on the cutting edge of saying it's not as effective as it used to be, and some of the big guys (probably more like the products that you can find in a grocery or drug store) *should* be going elsewhere with their advertising dollars - get with the 21st century, so to speak.

Here's the article

http://visualstore.com/index.php/channel/42/id/9984