Layered Palm Pillars

Here are a few of our newest creations...

layered palm wax pillars (several scents - some layers glow under UV light), a patchouli raspberry pillar and a soy pillar (my partner calls this "atomic vomit green" - it glows green under UV light).

Thanks for lookin'. :D

post-2519-139458395944_thumb.jpg

post-2519-139458395948_thumb.jpg

post-2519-13945839597_thumb.jpg

Thanks, y'all. I am shooting for the look of polished geodes... these remind me of japanese viewing stones kinda sorta...

Most of the ones I have done have been "leftover" projects, so the scents usually vary, but they smell wonderful anyway.

I usually make several sizes of these at once, so I just wander around with the wax adding dabs to the ones that are ready...

I enjoy making these... they are tedious and never turn out exactly as I thought... the wax does its own thing which always turns out better than anything I had imagined! The hardest part is waiting to demold them to see what I've done...

I store leftover wax in cans (god forbid ANYONE should throw away a can around this place) and remelt over a flat pan of water.

My kitchen is trashed for all time, I believe...:confused:

Palm wax has been trying enough with single color pillars...
Beauloser, don't fret. HONEST - palm wax has given me the least amount of headaches since I started pouring candles! I find it VERY predictable in what it does under what circumstances, etc. I find it has a wide range of pouring temps and is a pretty forgiving wax in many cases. It does have certain characteristics, so I just try to work within those parameters.

I am SUCH a noob at this chandlery stuff... but one thing I have gathered from reading all the posts here and there on veggie waxes is that there is a LOTTA difference between brands and suppliers and there is a lotta hype and disinformation out there. I read things on supply sites that totally contradict my (admittedly limited) experiences (like one supplier said you MUST use stearic acid for palm wax for mold release. Not with the wax and molds I use... mold release is the least of my concerns with palm - candles drop out of the mold easily without the stearic acid). I can only conclude that many problems are the fault of the particular brand of wax one is using. Because I have not come up in the "paraffin tradition," I have no preconceptions about how the wax should behave, so sometimes being a noob is good!!:D

The only wax that is giving me trouble is the Cargill NatureWax for pillars, which I get from a local supplier. The stuff is too sensitive to heat and cracks when burning. It also changes consistancy (becomes grainier) and color (lightens as if stretched) when heated and tends to crumble and powder. I am 'sperimenting to concoct a blend that doesn't crack. If anybunny has any info on how to tackle this cracking problem with the pillar wax, I sure would be interested!!

What type of wick do you use with them?
Ummmm, I am not too schooled about wicking - so many kinds and sizes and stuff!! :eek: Our first candles were wicked with hemp-core wicks, but they 'shroomed too much. So then we tried ones from the same supplier where we buy our palm wax (JBN) and they are working out pretty well. Typically, our problem is underwicking. The wick recommendations will say, for example, "CDN 8 - soy wax 1.75" - 2.25" containers; Other waxes - 2.5" - 3" containers." Uh huh. Our palm wax needs more wick than does our C-3 soy, so I don't include it in that "Other wax" spec. I find in general, that the recommendations are on the conservative, underwicked side of things. I am still experimenting to find the happy medium... :tongue2: Also, those specs refer to CONTAINERS. I don't pour palm in containers, so the recommendations go straight out the window right there! I would use the above wick for a votive sized palm wax candle.

Needless to say, we have a lot to learn and I am enjoying every minute of this! Although it is frustrating sometimes to find little consistant, solid info on veggie waxes, I have no problem experimenting to obtain a good understanding of the medium. The one time I have used paraffin, I was shocked at how DIFFERENT it is from soy and palm!! Easier? I dunno - it's all about what one is accustomed to using and how willing one is to learn new tricks. Although I love predictability, I also love learning new tricks, so I am having a blast with this!

Thanks for everyone's interest!

:bliss:

Beauloser~I am very impressed by the raspberry one, it is amazing, I love the deep dark color I would love to do one just like it. I have to say it might be my favorite palm pillar so far~~are you sure I can't have it????:laugh2::D It is very BEAUTIFUL. I am new to pillars, as I have just recieved my supplies to start making them and ended up in the hospital with a blood clot, so now, back to square one and I will try again~ And I will be making them soon, I can't wait~hope I can be half as good as you peeps!!!!!!:D

HUGS !!!From WV

Sue Ann