CP question?

TexasBrat

I do it in 4 minute blasts, it doesn't get all that hot. I do it until it gets slushy and a little bit clear. I let it sit awhile. If it looks like there are a few more hunks that aren't getting smaller, I'll nuke it another minute.

Hard oils are pretty stable, no (or few) double bonds to break.

I have a set of pyrex bowls, the largest is pretty big, I can get 4 or 5 lb batch in it easy, which is perfect for me right now. I use one of the other bowls to weigh my hard oils, then put them all in one of the other bowls and melt on med/low in the microwave, in 3 or 4 min. bursts and stir each time until melted (takes about 10 mins), then mix with the room temp soft oils. That usually gives me the right temp I need and I am ready to go.

Gallon plastic buckets work great too. If you don't buy oils in that size of bucket, you can usually find some small ones at Lowes or a hardware store.

I use plastic buckets thanks to Robin (for that advise) mine I use came from the Chemistry Store and had DDS and SLSa in them..... just the perfect size for 3 lbs w/ room to spare.

Not knowing any better I used a presto pot w/ a temp. control from day one to melt butters, and still do. IMO I have better control of the heat. Once the butters are melted I pour it into the plastic bucket that already has the soft oils measured out in it. I stick a thermometer into the oil and once it and the lye are at/below 100 degrees I add the lye to the bucket and go from there mixing the two. The bucket doesn't have a spout but I haven't had a problem pouring yet (knock on wood)

That's how this newbie does it :grin2:

I have used the blue plastic containers that lard comes in from Walmart. I also found a little plastic Pyrex style bowl at Big Lots that has a top and a mixer attachment on it for $3.99. It'll hold at least 3-4 lbs. I just pitched the mixer attachment.

Edit to add: I also microwave both in short bursts until my hard oils melt.