Mylar Lining

Grumpy Girl

I'm pretty quick at lining my soap molds with freezer paper but I dread doing it, and I have tried to line them with mylar before, but after unmolding I noticed that the mylar warped due to the heat of gelling I guess. I bought some of the three pack flexable cutting boards at walmart to use but obviously they suck for this. What type of mylar are you lining your molds with and where in the heck did you get it? I need something that won't warp.

I bought mine at Joann's. It is called "no-melt mylar template plastic", the vendor name on it is Dritz. If you don't have a Joanns local, I think they carry it online. I have used it for my target molds and no melting problems. :D

Edited: dang, didn't see it online. Could always mail ya some if ya can't find it.

I also got mine at Joann's. It is in the quilting section. I got the thicker kind. I thought it would stay in the shape of the mold better. I guess it is more resistent to heat too cuz it hasn't warped.

Are you sure it didn't just get out of shape when it was being pulled away from the soap?

Grumpy, I use just regular Transparencies for overhead projectors and I have never had a problem with warping or anything.

This is something I've not heard of before! Sounds promising. How long have you reused them?:confused:

Here's a question....

Can we just cut them & glue them to the wooden soap molds? My wooden mold comes apart, so its nothing for me to just wipe it down with some cleaner, etc after each batch.

I bought a mold that had mylar attached to the sides and it too broke apart. I think I would make sure the glue I used was not heat sensitive!

I bought some transparencies today. I was gonna soap tonight but drank a glass of wine while watching top chef and decided not to soap. I'll try tomorrow.

Ah, but the secret to that is to mix your lye water before you pop the cork on the wine, and have DH/BF do the initial lye into oil pour for you. ;)

As soon as I get home, I'm gonna try the transparency thing. I have a huge box of them in a closet somewhere work bought me to do a few meetings. If that doesn't work, I'm calling Kerry. :D

Ah, but the secret to that is to mix your lye water before you pop the cork on the wine, and have DH/BF do the initial lye into oil pour for you. ;)

Ahh, now there is the problem I don't happen to have a DH/BF. Can I borrow yours?

:laugh2: :laugh2: I think USPS needs to consider a new shipping rate SOS (significant other swap) Flat Rate shipping for this very reason!!!!!

Then they'd have to do CBS and SDS. It would just get to complicated...LMAO

CBS=Cabana Boy Shipping

SDS=Sugar Daddy Shipping