Loofah in a Loaf Mold

lindsaycb

I want to make a loofah soap, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with taking a full 10" loofah and shoving it in your loaf mold...pour soap over it? Can it then be cut with my FCS cutter?

Or is it better to try and embed individual slices approx one inch apart & hope that my slicer lines up?

I have tried to do it with m&p. I left the loofah whole and I found it was very difficult to cut, it was frustrating to say the least.. It was rough and splintered, I was not pleased with the results. I then did it by preslicing and found it came out much nicer and looked great. Hope this helps.

Lovely Lathers

See, I think that's the way I'll end up doing it...but my soap has always stuck in PVC. do you line it too?

My loofahs are huge. I'll wet them to shove them in there..but it just doesn't seem like there's much soap in there with it.

I used to make mine in the pvc tube but now I make them individually, I had my hubby cut the pvc tube in 1 1/2 inch rounds, I cap each one then put my damp loofah in the mold then pour my M&P over them, I add pumice, ground oats and poppy seeds to the soap, since I add so many additives making them this way ensured each bar was getting a good amount of good stuff. Then I top each one w/ more of the additives for visual appeal and it makes it even more scrubby. When I made them in the loaf, cutting them with the M&P was a PITA and they were never how I wanted them, I tried so many methods it wasn't funny. i just really like being able to make each bar look customized and scrubby on top :D

Now, I have been toying around with the idea of making them this way with CP but will not be able to experiment until summer. I imagine cutting CP loafs with loofah would be a lot easier.

BTW, I sell them like they are going out of style at shows, I sell them 1/$6.00 or 3/$15 and people swarm over them, they are very popular and people come back again and again for them