Heating up the pour pots....

Hi All....

Just purchased a water jacket melter (heater) whatever it is called. Holds 60 pounds of wax at a time. My question is...I get my wax to 190 before adding FO and liquid dye. I'm thinking that if that wax hits a cold pour pot it will drastically reduce the temp of the wax immediately before I get to blending. Do any of you heat up your pour pots? And if you do...what method do you use to heat them up? Thanks in advance.

-Denise

We let the wax get hotter than that, anywhere from 210-220 f., and do not heat up the pouring pots. If needed we will put the pouring pot in a pot of boiling water on a burner to get it hotter again after blending.

*edit* if you do this though, and are keeping the wax for several days make sure you turn it down lower for overnight or when you aren't using it.

I use an electric griddle that you would make pancakes or grilled cheese on. I set the temp to about 200 degrees. This keeps the pots hotter than my wax. We can heat 6 pots at once. I usually only use 3 pots. By the time I have cleaned and washed the third one, the first one is hot enough again. It is a great system. I have a 500# wax melter. Aren't they the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!! I got my used for $750. God was smiling down on me that day because I was in the right place (on the internet) at the right time.

Terri :D

I use an electric griddle that you would make pancakes or grilled cheese on. I set the temp to about 200 degrees. This keeps the pots hotter than my wax. We can heat 6 pots at once. I usually only use 3 pots. By the time I have cleaned and washed the third one, the first one is hot enough again. It is a great system. I have a 500# wax melter. Aren't they the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!! I got my used for $750. God was smiling down on me that day because I was in the right place (on the internet) at the right time.

Terri :D

What a great idea, an electric griddle!

I heat mine in the oven....just keep the oven on warm all the time (have one for cooking and one for candles) ....I would be worried about heating some waxes to 210-220 - for example the new Greenleaf 70/30 says if it is heated over 200 it may discolor....not sure about the type of wax you are using but I would check this prior to heating so hot...jmo :undecided

Debbie

Microwave!! .....:shocked2: ...Dear Lord...run for the hills............. :tiptoe: LOL!!

Thanks for all the ideas. I am really liking the griddle idea. Off to search for my griddle that I used to use to make pancakes.

:DDenise

I bet you will love it.... it is very easy. I used to use a brunn coffee pot plate warmer, but then I just thought of the griddle one day when I was in Walmart. You'll be so glad you got the wax melter. You'll never look back!

Congrats!

Terri