Pillar wick starting point?

I want to get a little more specific with my pillar wicks. Right now I only make them for myself and family, locally I can only pick-up square braid in various sizes. I was looking into ordering some different wicks from Peaks with my next order. I just really don't know where to start testing.(HTP, LX etc.) If you all could please give me an idea of where to start. I have molds for 3" balls, 3 wicks, 2" wide round pillars in different heights and 3" wide pillars in different heights/shapes. I hope this is enough info so that you can all give me a starting point.

Also which is better pre-tabbed or not?

TIA

What kind of wax are you using?

I would suggest for the 3" rounds...somewhere around 24-30ply flatbraid, spooled. This way you cut off what you need.

I don't do any 2" or balls and am just getting ready to start the 3wickers, think I'll start those with 18 or 21ply...

And for my 3 inch rounds I use LX 18 for regular scents and LX 20 for heavier scents..like the ones with Vanilla in them. Plz let me know how these come out with your testing..I have never used the ply that the other poster suggested. Am interested in which ones work best for you. The spools save you money..you cut off the length you need. The pre Tabbed are 6 inches in height so depending on the height of your candle you might have to cut the wick down and that wastes money. I like the pre tabbed tho..just easier.

J.