Satsuma & Lavender Basil

Ohh, damn... the satsuma turned out so pretty to have to be rebatched.

Better luck next time, it's screwed up... damnit. Lye heavy maybe? It's really soft and I got zapped. When I took a piece to the sink my hands got tingly too... bad, bad soap fairies!

The lavender basil is to die for. It gets to live since it turned out like it should.

satsumalavender.jpg

Anybody want to share with me how to rebatch and what could be wrong with the satsuma batch?

Crap girlie they look sooooo pretty too.

Now for my dumb question, how do you tell if it is lye heavy?

Well, just guessing really because as I was cutting it, I noticed it was pretty damn soft, which is unusual for this recipe, so I did the zap test and got zapped. I took a piece to the sink and my hands were tingly too. I started a thread about how to rebatch it, and e said it wasn't lye heavy if it was soft... so I have no idea what it is, other than ruined. It looks like it's gonna be dinner for the trash can probably.

I'll do another batch after dinner.

about... 19 hours. I've never seen a soap behave like this one. Both were made with the exact same recipe, one after the other and the lavender basil is perfect. I guess e is right, just blame in on the fairies.

Yup Kerry, those are ITP swirlies... it's the only ones I can do half way decent in a log mold. I can't get them to work for me in a slab at all.

A zap test is to determine if there is still lye present in the soap. You stick the soap to your tonuge, and if it "zaps" you, then it has lye.

When you were a kid, did you ever stick your tongue to a 9 volt battery? If so, it's about the same as that.

I'm not sure why I'm even posting as I don't know what I'm talking about -LOL (being a newbie)... Its actually more a question. I thought it took 3 days for the lye to leave your soap and to cure another 2 weeks for the liquid to dissipate and the soap get hard (even w/ a discount)??

Your soaps look awesome as usual! I ordered my Satsuma today and CAN'T wait to get it!!!!!!

That makes sense!

I wish I could find that "perfect" recipe :rolleyes2 I keep search though as I know its out there. :cool2:

I hear ya, I quit hunting and made my own. Once you sit down with soapmaker and know what you're looking for in a bar it's pretty easy to do. Unless the fairies find you.

I rebatched the Satsuma. I am really weird, but I decided that I love rebatching!

The soap is now ugly as sin, and it turned tan I guess due to the goatsmilk I added, but man is it ever nice feeling! I'm going to have to check into the rebatching thing a bit more. I have TONS of ends, pieces and a few failed batches that deserve a second chance.