Soy vs. Paraffin "scent throw" poll

OK, I've been testing soy for a short time now. I'm looking to add a soy line to my current paraffin/veggie candles. I'm learning that soy will NOT throw as well as paraffin. However, what's your best comparison?

If your old paraffin or paraffin/veggie blend that would scent a large living room or a small house - what will your soy formula scent? What's the best I can hope to achieve?

Example:

My response is my best paraffin/veggie formula will scent my entire main floor or about 1,200-1,500 sq. ft., I can even smell it downstairs. But my soy testing can be smelled only when you walk up and I'm standing about 10 feet from the candle. (My soy testing is still in it's infancy stage) so I'm not able to report a better hot throw yet.

Basically I"m wanting to know what's the best "hot throw" you've achieved w/ your soy formula. Also you can or don't have to disclose what wax you use. I'm just trying to see what is the best results the majority of soy makers have been able to achieve w/ this product - so I can know when to stop and when I've gotten a top "hot throw" from my product.

I'm testing CB Advanced and CB135. I think there are 2 advanced formulas. I'm not sure which mine is, but it's new from Peak.

Thanks for any participation!

I make both kinds of candles, so I can offer you my observations. I have a small home, but many of my soy candles scent the entire main living area. Some scents won't throw at all in soy; for example, I once tested a cinnamon that had awesome cold throw in soy but you couldn't smell a thing when it was burning, even with your face in the jar and the flame singing your nostril hairs. LOL

Sometimes soy takes a bit longer to shoot the scent out there, know what I mean? But it will do the job if you burn it for a decent length of time. Yes, my paraffin candles throw a bit better, but you can still smell many soy candles burning 6-8 feet away or more. Some of my soy candles, such as Mountain Lake, will practically run you outta the room at full strength. LOL

Above I posted I could smell my soy 10 feet away, but I meant to type 2 feet away. Thanks for the input. Would you say that typically a good soy candle can scent at least 1 living room, based on your own candles or others that you have tested? I think part of my problem is I haven't burned anybody elses soy candles. I think I'll go find a beanpod or er'go to sample..

I think it depends on the FO and wax combo. My 415 soy throws most of my FO's like crazy. I have a few as well that throw through my entire house. I also think everyone's nose is different and is going to interpret the throw differently.

Above I posted I could smell my soy 10 feet away, but I meant to type 2 feet away. Thanks for the input. Would you say that typically a good soy candle can scent at least 1 living room, based on your own candles or others that you have tested? I think part of my problem is I haven't burned anybody elses soy candles. I think I'll go find a beanpod or er'go to sample..

Yes, a typical soy candle I make easily scents my living room.

My husband is in love with buttercream. He would always buy Yankees and burn them in his office. Then I decided to start making buttercreams for him with 415. What a difference. Because the soy is already a technically a food base. It highly enhanced that buttercream even more. It smell like a cake in my house. I have a large house and people would walk in asking if I was baking. I agree parafin might pick up on other scents better. But On certain sents with soy it is a whole other world with scent throw especially perfumes and bakery scents. Coffees, Cakes, BBW, VS, Chocolate chip cookie is another good one, Birthday cake.

My husband is in love with buttercream. He would always buy Yankees and burn them in his office. Then I decided to start making buttercreams for him with 415. What a difference. Because the soy is already a technically a food base. It highly enhanced that buttercream even more. It smell like a cake in my house. I have a large house and people would walk in asking if I was baking. I agree parafin might pick up on other scents better. But On certain sents with soy it is a whole other world with scent throw especially perfumes and bakery scents. Coffees, Cakes, BBW, VS, Chocolate chip cookie is another good one, Birthday cake.

What buttercream are you using? I love buttercream, too!

I agree that sweet scents and florals throw the best but I think that's just cause the FOs are usually stronger. My soy smells up my whole house (about 1500 sq ft) and if I put one on the warmer just until it's liquid (I use 4-6 oz sizes so it only takes a couple hours) it'll smell great for days. So nice to open the door to a good smell (Nag Champa is my weakness, I only make it for myself- none for customers cause I won't give it up). Everyone's sense of smell is purely individual and to me and some of my friends there is a chemical scent to paraffin candles hot or cold.