Real Bombs!

Brenda

Here's my second attempt at fizzing bath bombs. Got myself a bomb meatballer instead of making them in the muffin tin and tried a little Turkey Red in with the oil in the recipe (seems less greasy! :cheesy2: ) and I had beginner's luck with their forming.

Here they are scented with Pink Sugar:

second_bombs.jpg

I need to get some fine sea salt instead of the coarse I had on hand. Don't like the speckles of salt. I doubled the recipe and wound up with 19 - 1.75" bombs and a 1/2 cup of loose stuff I had to test out right away this morning in my small bathtub. They are resting in a slightly warm oven now. I've got my fingers crossed!

Thanks for looking!

Those are nice.

I really wish I could make bombs!! (I keep mine powder because I just can't get them to stay solid, no matter what recipe I try, and I've tried several!)

For my salts, when they are too coarse like that, I run them through a blender, that takes care of the speckled look. :)

Maryann, this is how I did it (I posted this before but I will share again...)

At first I had problems with the meatballer. I just kept messing with it and now....When I use my meatballer I find that they stick together a little better if you over fill it and push the mold itself together with your hands, instead of using just the handles on the meatballer. Then, when you open the meatballer, stick your finger slightly in the hole on the top and gently pull the top off first, then flip it over so the bomb is in your hand, and then do the same to the other. That is how I get it to work for me. If you can understand all my rambling, you are more then welcome to try that technique.

Thanks everyone! :cheesy2: Darwin, I remembered reading how you used the meatballer! I used your technique. I read somewhere too that you could tap the closed meatballer gently on the counter top once to help release the bomb and that worked like a charm for me!

I would not have experienced this success without all the knowledge that is shared on this board! :yay: You all are a fantastic resource.

They are lovely, how do you get them to stay in your meatballer, i have one, but when i go to open it, they wont stick, then i have 2 halves??

I just open them up as far as they will go, dig into the pile of stuff like I'm after a big salad at a buffet, and crunch the halves of the meatballer together. If the edges meet right away, I know I don't have enough loaded in, so I empty the meatballer out and try again.

When I've got enough in I squeeze it on the mold end, not the handles, and try to force the two halves to meet. This seems to compact it nicely especially if there is still a little gap between the two hemispheres that I can't close. I rub off the extra mixture that may sticking out, tap it on the counter once lightly, and it unmolds nicely. Hard and ready to dry.

That's what seems to work for me....but then again...it may just be beginner's luck. :cheesy2: I've got to order more citric acid so I can try it again!

Thanks for your nice comments everyone!

It's really fun to mix these up! I found a supplier locally for citric acid so I have a good supply of materials on hand. Last night I made a batch using LLC - heavenly smell! - but when I tucked them in the oven to dry I was in too much of a hurry and the oven rack was still too hot. The heat transferred to the pan and now all my lovely yellow lemon bombs look like they've settled into their beach chairs and gotten flat bottoms. :sad2: My fault because I was in a rush after a long day at work.

So this morning I got up early and mixed up a batch of Peaks Watermelon. I tried pressing the last mixture into a soap mold and it worked like a charm. Here it is:

bomb_bar_watermelon.jpg

I think it looks pretty cool, but won't know if it will hold together even though I pressed hard with my hands and then with a little narrow pastry roller. I've got my fingers crossed! This batch is not going in the oven. :cheesy2:

Forgot to say there is an upside to my LLC fiasco...I'll be taking many lemon scented baths in the near future!

Aha! I've discovered the real problem with my lemon bombs and the next batch... It's NOT heat, it's the problem of several too many sprays with the alcohol spritzer. I'm going to use 99% next time instead of 91% and be very cautious with the number of sprays.

I lay the bombs out in rows as I make them and I can see that the first formed ones are the ones that "slump" after a while and the later ones are fine, so it's got to be that the alcohol evaporates enough to be just right about half way through my doubled batch. :rolleyes2 Live and learn.

Trying again this morning since hope springs eternal! :cheesy2: