Layering container candles

Hello everyone.....wow this site sure is helpful for us newbie candle makers. I was wondering about layering a container candle. Do you let the first layer completely cool and then pour the next layer? Do you poke holes in the first layer and the rest of the layers like you would any other container candle?

I would like to fill a 16 oz jar with Honeydew, Watermelon and Cantelope. I always wondered how you get each fragrance to smell on 'its own' when it is burning that layer when there is 2 other fragrances. I guess I will have to burn one to find out....

Thanks for you help.....

Jenn

You don't want to let the layers cool completely between pours. Wait until the bottom layer has set up a bit and formed a good skin on top before you pour the next layer. If you pour too soon or too hot the layers will bleed together.

The only way to know for sure if the scents will smell good together is just to burn one. I find that the scents tend to mingle together though, so don't pick things that would smell icky if mixed together. But I think that your combo sounds like it would be good :)

When I was doing aromatherapy, a tip for testing scents was to put some EO/FO on cotton buds, then put them in a plastic bag and leave them for a while- then open the bag and if you like what you smell- voila! :cheesy2: