just bought a grubby mold

Now,,,what would be the best wax to use with it. I have several pillar/votive waxes but not sure which would look best. Plus I can always order some. These grubbies have a ribbon on the front. Doing a fund raiser for breast cancer so I'm making the candles with no color and going to paint or something for the pink ribbon. May cut out for a t-lite and not try to wick the large candle. Just want a wax, doesn't have to veg., that will look good for a long time. TIA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, just seen this now. The last time I used KY glow wax was the first version of it that KY had - its changed I believe (maybe just went to slab form?) since then but you may want to ask Vicky at KY about it.

Paraflint is also known as Clear Crystals or Translucent Crystals. Published meltpoint is anywhere between 208 and 215F so you need to melt this first then what I do is add the wax and bring it back up to around that temp and stir to incorporate then you can bring it down to pouring temp. (Make sure its incorporated well before adding any dye - much easier that way). I tested a lot of additives in paraffin and this is the one that I liked best. For me it got rid of ALL mottling and fingernailing so that the paraffin remains transparent. (As opposed to the vybars and "polys" which make it opaque and the micros which at times seem to cloud paraffin a bit for me).

HTH

Thanks Henry, I am only making a few for this fundraiser. And the Glow Wax I have is the old powder kind. I just plan on using what I have but think I have some translucent crystals. Also have some wax from Chermark, the kind used for chunk overpours. That should work, don't you think?

I feel stupid - I thought you were doing those electric grubbies (I got two different threads mixed up)! You are just doing straight candles so I would just use some sort of pillar paraffin wax I had on hand. Soy - even pillar soy may not work - it may crack or parts may crack when you try to remove it - depending upon the mold. I don't know if I would waste the glow wax for them (I would save it for electrics myself). What I told you to do with the IGI and paraflint - would be too high of a melt point - assuming you want them to actually burn right (unless you do the tealight thing)! If your wax tends to mottle, snowflake, or have fingernailing I would add a bit of vybar to make it opaque - would make the ribbon or paint show up nice. Thats what I would do anyway I think. Two other things I can think of - it you get pitting (like bubbles) pour hotter. If you get like frosting on the surface - thats from pouring too hot. (I had the latter problem the first couple times - but you can fix it with a heat gun - the pitting you can't).

Very sorry I misled you on prior posts :embarasse

The mold I have is for the burning candle but I don't want to mess with all the testing. So I am putting a votive glass in and including some t-lites. Or better still do they have a glass insert/holder for the tealite cups. That would be even easier. I made up a sample with the Glow and some wax I got a long tiime ago from Clean Wax. Don't know what it is cause I ordered Clean Wax but they called to tell me not to use it because it wasn't the right wax. Looks like it and it's very hard opaque wax pellets. Like the looks of the opaque better but the translucent glows better with the t-lite. Now to find a pretty paint that will stick to the wax, maybe some pink glitter.:cool2: