what do I need----

I would like to sell some bath products at a craft show do I need insurance I have only been doing this for a couple of months and would like to know if this is O.K. I make gel candles to without insurance, but I don't think I need that at shows. Thanks

Personally, I am hesitant to sell anything without insurance. I don't want to lose my house because someone lit a votive on the table instead of a holder or someone was allergic to an ingredient in a lotion and broke out. Sorry, I am confident in my products but stupidity seems to win in court. It isn't worth it to me.

I agree with carrie, there are just too many risks if you sell anything without insurance. it's a big leap of faith to go ahead and set your self up as a legit business, with a license (or whatever is required where you live) and insurance, but the piece of mind and protection is priceless. it isn't just about stupidity...even experienced business people here can attest that things can go wrong. insurance is there to protect you AND your customer. that said, ther eare people here who sell without insurance but it has to be a risk that you take with your eyes open...whether you sell 10 candles/B&B products a year or 1000--there is always a chance that someone could sue you if something goes wrong or they think you are at fault. even if you *think that you have nothing someone could sue you for, you are not judgement proof---they can attach your wages, have a lien put on your future earnings or even your home and car (depending on state laws)--do you really want to take that kind of risk to save a few hundred dollars a year?

unfortunately candlemaking and personal care product production are not quick and easy ways to make a buck. they require extensive testing, a good deal of investment on your part to make a quality product. in this realm of handmade wares--the best business strategy is catering to repeat customers, and if you don't make an excellent product that brings your customers back you won't be in business for long

explore your options, make some calls to inquire about insurance...it's really not that expensive when you think about the alternative possibilities. at least have all the facts before you decide to continue without it. more and more shows now are requiring proof of insurance, and if you ever hope to do wholesaling be prepared for your accounts to inqire about insurance too. I just got a 2m policy for $905 a year that includes my candles and B&B--my agent said it was a lot easier to find an underwriter for the B&B than it was for the candles due to the risk assessment...so even if you decide not to add B&B I would suggest looking into insurance--but that's just my opinion

I personally would not operate without insurance. It's better to be safe than sorry. Like Carrie said, it's nothing against your product but some folks today are just too darn sue happy. And while it would be very difficult for them to prevail in court, you would still need to defend yourself which requires hiring an attorney - which takes money. You could still get sued even if you have insurance, but at least with it, you have that added protection. And your insurance will hire their attorney to defend you in court. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

you say that you have been making things for a couple of months........i'm going to be blunt here......you really need to do a lot more research and testing before you start to sell.

just like with gel candles, there are many variables to bath and body products....and a lot to learn

and insurance is definitely a necessity.........

you've come to a good place to research and to ask questions...

hth,

cheryl