Beginner Body Butter... questions abound

CareBear

I want to try a whipped body butter. The recipe I'm thinking of following is from Silly Soap Wholesale Supplies:

This is a whipped body butter that melts instantly when applied to the skin.

Melt cocoa butter and mango butter in double boiler until melted. Careful not to overheat the butters. Add fractionated coconut oil and pour into mixer.

Blend slightly and place in freezer for 5 minutes. Remove, add fo or eo of choice and whip again. Continue until it starts to solidify, once it solidifies, whip for about 5 minutes or until fluffy.

1. Does this recipe make sense? I realize I will have to repeat the last step a few times

2. What is the smallest reasonable batch size I can make in my KA? I don't have a hand blender. Or can I make it in my Food Processor (if I leave out the FO?)?

Thanks

I made my body butter with the above recipe. It didn't double in volume but I was nervous it would collapse somehow. I'd say it's almost there but not quite.

My question is this - It quickly stiffened into what feels almost like whipped butter - the volume remains but it's still stiff somehow. Melts in beautifully but I was kinda hoping for a whipped-cream texture.

But then I"ve never used a whipped body butter and don't know what it SHOULD be like. Do they ever stay soft or is this the real deal? Can I make it soft? How would I do that?

I have made this recipe many times and it is just wonderful. Yet it is a bit stiffer body butter because of the cocoa butter. Yet, it does melt wonderfully into the skin.

When I make whipped shea butters, it stays light and fluffy because shea is a soft butter.

I have played around with the mentioned recipe to see if I can make it a bit fluffier. I dropped the amount of cocoa and upped the FCO. This helped keep it a bit softer, but still not light and fluffy like whipped sheas. Yet, it is not supposed to be like whipped shea, but instead a luxurious body butter that melts into the skin.

Ann

I have made this recipe many times and it is just wonderful. Yet it is a bit stiffer body butter because of the cocoa butter. Yet, it does melt wonderfully into the skin.

When I make whipped shea butters, it stays light and fluffy because shea is a soft butter.

I have played around with the mentioned recipe to see if I can make it a bit fluffier. I dropped the amount of cocoa and upped the FCO. This helped keep it a bit softer, but still not light and fluffy like whipped sheas. Yet, it is not supposed to be like whipped shea, but instead a luxurious body butter that melts into the skin.

Ann

Thanks Ann.

When you maked whipped shea do you use the unrefined Agbanga or refined or what? Very curious about this all.

I use only unrefined Agbanga. It is by far the best shea around. I don't mind the scent at all and it is just so smooth and creamy. There are many suppliers who sell Agbanga and I recently got some in a coop. I love whipped sheas, but they are strictly a fall/winter item for me since it gets way too hot here to keep them solid.

Ann

Thanks for the insight on the Agbanga. Another CTer was kind enough to share some with me, and I have more coming in the co-op!

I've got some time off from working which hopefully won't last too long. Thus I'm taking advantage of it to try out as many things as possible - with an eye toward taking them forward as weather permits! So I mess around with it now so that maybe come fall I can sell some or at least give it away!

What scents do you think are most popular? I made my whipped cocoa butter strawberry cause that's what was on my counter (gee, I should have tinted it pink. Hmmm.

AND CAN I RE-WHIP IT OR AM I FINISHED? For example what if I want to drop in a bit of chocolate f/o? Or add that pink?

After my butters and oils have whipped up, I add the dri flo and work that in, then I add the IPM and that's when it gets light and fluffy. The last batch I made I added an extra .5oz of EVOO and it didn't firm up as much, it's much lighter and fluffier. I do the last part on about 8 on the KA, FYI

Edit...

You can add stuff to it. I usually add the FO the very last. If I want to make several scents I put some butter in a baggie and add the FO and smoosh to incorporate. Then jar it up. It does let some of the air out but thats alright with me. The harder the butter the less people will put on their finger. The less they put on their finger the less greasy they think it is.

Yes, you can rewhip it. I have done it many times. With the original recipe, I have rewhipped to add more FCO to make it a bit softer and also have added more FO.

For my whipped sheas I have found lavender to be by far my most popular. It blends really well. I also like a combination of mint and lavender. I use EO's and do a blend of peppermint and lavender or peppermint and a citrus. I tried Pink Sugar once and it was just not for me. My niece however loves it so I make products for her with that scent. It would be lovely tinted pink.

Ann