sweaty soap

CareBear

Both times I made soap (salt and non-salt) the stuff sweated lye water. In the salt batch it brought up part of the colr with it (green swirl) so that there was a yellow film on parts of the soap when it dried.

The lye did eventually disappear, but the color remained.

Was it too hot? Too cold? Why did it happen?

I have my soap in an air conditioned room and if it is really humid out even the cured soap will sweat. It is a constant battle for a couple of months and a lot of the new soap goes downstairs near the dehumidifier. The humidity will reek havoc with you soap and you lye. I haven't lost a batch to

DOS yet , just have to keep my eyes on things.

I guess that could be it, but I was indoor with the AC on the whole time, and I "baked" the salt batch in the oven so I don't think that was it.

Let me clarify that the salt batch was sweating in the oven with the heat on!

Let me clarify that the salt batch was sweating in the oven with the heat on!

Okay so it was in the oven with the heat on. This happens often when I do cpop. Why I don't really know but the oils or whatever has come to the surface usually reabsorb. If I had to guess I would say too hot, that is just a guess. What temp are you setting the oven, how long are you keeping the soap in there? The whole point of cpop is to create a shorter cure time by forcing more water to evaporate more quickly, therefore you do have moisture in your oven that is probably just settling back down on the soap as it has nowhere else to go if the space in the oven gets oversaturated with water.

I did 175F for 2 hours. They were salt bars so I took them out to cut immediately and just blotted any remaining water with a towel.

If it had been a regular batch I would have left them in overnight, but I haven't tried that yet so don't knonw about the sweat issue there.

I didn't have the soap covered or wrapped. Do you think I should have thrown a towel over the top? I was nervous cause of the oven being on...