Premixing your oils..

This is a great idea if you do a lot of soaps and want to whip them out as quickly as possible.

I am still in the totally hobby stage, though, so the most I'll do is mix my oils and butters and melt them earlier in the day and make up my lye sol'n then too so that when I am ready I don't have to wait for everything to cool.

I have heard of some premixing their soaping oils into one big container so that when they are ready to make a batch they just give it a good shake and pour the amount of oil in ounces that they need. I wonder if its a good idea. Anyone here do that? :D

I do. Love that method. Just make sure to stir well. 5 Gallon pails work well.

I just don't care for using a master batch method for my oils. I would rather weight out my oils per batch into individual (per mold) containers, label and date them, seal them up, and put them on a shelf. Whenever I want to make several batches, I just pull what I need off the shelf and I'm good to go. It helps that I've finally standardized my soap molds for the most part, and use the same size mold so my recipe never really changes. I do have a few recipes that I make in a different mold, and I label those containers accordingly, along with the lye and water amount info on the label.

I never could get the master batch of lye mix in my head so it made sense to me, so I just mix as I go. If I could ever understand it, I'd probably master batch the lye though just because it's a PITA to mess with it.