Dry light wax

I've been studying mottles again lately at the stores so have another question. Some of these mottled candles (USA Made, not China/other if that makes any difference), appear to be made of VERY dry light wax. Is there a type of wax like this or an additive that is used? Maybe a lot of vyber 343?

You know how paraffin candles usually dent - these almost would seem as if they are brittle, like palm wax - light in weight for a candle of its' size - and maybe they would chip if banged - not dent - sorry couldn't try that at the store :)

I'll bet if I weighed one of my 4045H pillars and one of these mine would be much heavier.

there are very few commercially made candles out there that are poured. Most are extruded or pressed. That's probably what you are seeing. It's the process that does it. You can see extrusion being done on Unwrapped on some products, it the same principle.

You know, I'll bet because it almost seems to me these mottles I've been looking at - there are large seams and the layers are odd - sometimes slightly misaligned - almost like they are stampled out and then assembled somehow. Bizarre, but anyway, I love the mottling/marbling effect or whatever it is. Now I don't feel so bad at not being able to duplicate it 100% (or 10% !)

I'm really glad other people noticed this and that I'm not crazy

:drool:

I found this: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Candle.html

With standard commercial candles containing up to 35 percent stearic acid I guess I don't have to worry about going up on the stearic in experiments with mottling - and I'll maybe thats why the candles I'm seeing are lighter and almost chip sometimes - and I was going to mention they are almost like palm wax in my first post!

I'm a newbie and just read the article in the link on candle manufacturing. One statement caught my eye.... "Often, wire-core wicks are used. These wicks have a wire center that allows them to burn slightly hotter than cotton and remain erect in the melted wax."

I thought wire core wicks burned cooler than cotton or non wire wicks...

Somebody help a newbie...which is it?

With standard commercial candles containing up to 35 percent stearic acid I guess I don't have to worry about going up on the stearic in experiments with mottling - and I'll maybe thats why the candles I'm seeing are lighter and almost chip sometimes - and I was going to mention they are almost like palm wax in my first post!

35%?? OMG!!!!!!!!!! Yeah no wonder they chip. Wow, I knew it was high, didn't know it was 35%.