Tart Problems

Hi everyone...

I just bought a new wax ... Genwax 128 Votive/Container wax and I poured my first tarts with it. I used 1 oz scent per pound and 1% of vybar 260. The tops came out really concave...like a cake comes out if you open the oven too often.

My question is, how can I prevent this? I hate to do a repour for tarts. And should I fill the tarts to just under the top so I can repour without them coming out funny?

Thank you for your help! I'm really stumped!

I use IGI 1343 and have to do a re-pour too, which doesn't bother me.

Maybe it's just that type of wax, it may have higher shrinkage than others. Then again the Vybar 260 may cause the shrinkage.

You can try another pour without the Vybar and see if if they still shrink. If they do then you may want to look for another wax that is a one pour.

Good Luck

Thank you so much for your reply. The wax isn't soy, it's a paraffin.

If i don't add the vybar then the scent won't hold, right? I tried just adding 1 teaspon and the wax still caved in the middle.

I tried doing a repour, but it made them look worse. Should I pour a little bit under the top of the mold and then let it cool and then refill it? Will the 2 pours separate when I unmold them?

If you're gonna do a repour, you should pour like you do votives (if you do them). So when you repour, it should be just a tad bit above your original pour. You might also try adding a one-pour container wax to the Genwax you're using....might help with the need for a repour.

Is there a one pour paraffin tart and/or votive wax? I can make such a mess when I do the second pour on tarts if I don't do the first pour "just right"....LOL I have to leave a little of the tin showing on the first pour so the second pour has something to hold onto...

Repours for tarts are a pain in the ass. Save yourself a lot of headaches and just add a container wax to your paraffin. I do a 50/50 combo of OK6228 and J223 or J50. I pour around 150 and never need to do a repour. Good luck! :wink2: