If you accept Pay Pal, watch out ...

soapmom25

I've been in limbo with them since 6/22 when they notified me they were "holding" funds from a transaction that required investigation. I don't keep a lot of money 'sitting' in that account, but thankfully did have enough to cover this hold.

The kicker was that the transaction they stated was from March 2006 ~ more than 90 days old! When I questioned them on this policy their answer was that "sometimes it takes time for customers to realize there has been suspicious activity on their credit card"

Ok, fine, whatever. They asked for purchase date, ship date, tracking info, proof of delivery, proof of insurance. I had it all. I did everything right, "by the book" and even had confirmed delivery. They replied the investigation should take about 5 days.

Many days later, and me brewing over it, I emailed them Friday and requested the "update" they promised. No response. Finally today I get an email from them saying the customer has been awarded the refund they requested and I would not be getting the money transferred back into my account.

They went on to suggest that in the future I ship in a timely manner (I shipped in 5 calendar days, 3 business days), use trackable shipping (I used UPS), and maintain good customer relations (hello, they found my site, and made a purchase, I didn't solicit them)

The moral of my story is that you are NEVER safe from having money debited from your Pay Pal account!!! They can and WILL debit you WHENEVER they get reason to from a customer, and no matter what smoke they blow at you thinking you've done everything right, their policy is "the customer is always right"

So now I have a customer that got $65 worth of free soap. Hope you're not her next victim! I'd post her info, but then I'd be the one in trouble, even though she's the one who just commited FRAUD!:angry2:

OMGosh!!!!!!!! I cant believe that after you proved you shipped her items in a timely matter and had proof of it all that they gave HER the refund and you are out that money!! Wow!

So sorry this happened to you. Thanks for the alert!

God Bless,

Lynn

Is there anyway you can fight that?

I've emailed/replied to Pay Pal requesting documentation on their "decision", and all I get are instructions on how to prevent disputes ~ none of which apply here because I actually did everything they suggest doing! They are not responsive or cooperative.

Our merchant service can "re-present" to the card issuer, but since this is Pay Pal, I don't even know what card was used, and since they won't answer me, I'm at a loss with nowhere to go on such limited info.

Really, really made me re-think the whole issue of even using Pay Pal. Was super convenient for years, but now the "lack of info" they provide is abundantly clear. So glad I have other options already in place, because they just lost ALL of my business.

This person was even listed as a "confirmed" buyer on my receipt, and the sale qualified for Pay Pal's Seller Protection Program since I DID have tracking, etc., but nonetheless, I still got the money taken away, and taken away more than 90 days after the delivery was made.

I am new to the website thing but have a pay pal account but need to get it on my site.So this is all new.I do know the first week I got a spoof mail from Pay Pal and they are looking into it.I know my husband caught it and took care of it,(sent it to PAY PAL.They said do not open and it will be investigated.I am clueless about this type of thing.Really have had no orders but get this pay pal spoof.I think what it said??So now I read this stuff.Gee are we safe for whatever we do???Like I said I have some things to learn and just getting this going. $65.00 is alot to pay for something FREE.What if this is done to many others.Same person.

LynnS

I get emails just about every week that say they're from paypal. Generally they either say they have noticed unusual activity or need updates. They also say I will lose priviliges until I take care of the matter. I forward everything to spoof@paypal.com and do not go any further. Every time I have done this, I get a response right away saying that they have it. Then later I get an email saying that they have determined it is NOT from them and they are investigating. The problem with ripoffs has gotten so bad that I only access my paypal from the ebay website since ebay owns paypal.

That being said, I have had several irritating incidents dealing with Paypal. They are awful about responding to questions. Unfortunately, you got ripped off by a thief that probably makes a habit of doing that sort of thing. It never ceases to amaze me how many people out there just blatantly steal without the slightest conscience. What does the thief have to say about it all? Any response from him/her? I think people like that should be publicly identified--just like how some places post bad checks at their registers!

What does the thief have to say about it all? Any response from him/her? I think people like that should be publicly identified--just like how some places post bad checks at their registers!

Not that I really expected a response, but I did email her, and of course ... no reply. The email didn't bounce though, so it's at least "good".

I plan on looking up the local newspaper today and writing them a letter, and also writing a complaint about PayPal to my local paper. Since I can't publicize her info I can at least complain about the handling of the situation and PayPal's policy ~ maybe somebody else will follow it to her!

p.s. anybody know the name of the local paper for Palmyra, PA????

I would also call them. 1-402-935-2050. Yes it is long distance, but worth it to actually speak with someone.

Paypal and I hve been around the block on a variety of things, and this is the best way. A lot of times the emails are templates, so like yours it means nothing to the situation at hand.

Good luck, because you are gonna need it.

I would call to speak to a rep....sounds like you had a chargeback...ask them to explain why you weren't covered. I deal with people all day, but it could be something that was overlooked on your end or PP's end....

At least call to get an explanation as to why this happened to you or what can be done....try to keep your cool though :cool2:

I would be livid over this! I think you deserve to have more information about the situation. Apparently this must be claiming that someone else used their credit card to purchase your soap. Did you get a signature for delivery? Was it shipped to the same address on the credit card? PayPal should be able to confirm that for you. If it was the same address, then what happened to the soap? You can't have it both ways--get a full refund AND the soap.

Contact PayPal and ask for more information, and tell them you will need it to get the police involved.