Recipe responsible for overheat?

CareBear

I used a recipe Darwin posted the link for:

http://www.pvsoap.com/recipe_sheasoap_washcloth.htm

It's olive oil, pko, shea and mango. I calculated my own lye and batch size - superfatted to 6% and discounted water some on the first batch (but not on the second).

I used Soap Studio's True Lilac, which I've tested before and seemed it was ok. Put most in a Pringles Can and the rest into individual molds.

Damn, the thing overheated so much it started climbing out of the can, right on my counter in a 74 degree room! Even the individual molds fully gelled right there on the counter. Stuck it in the fridge and chalked it up to a new FO not properly tested.

Made another batch, used Scent Works Rice Flower & Shea. Same damned thing!!!!

Now I got two Pringles cans of very expensive goop in the fridge chilling their heels and me scratching my head.

What's causing the overheat?

Whenver I have used a Pringles can or my round cylinder mold I have to be careful that it won't overheat. I can not insulate these molds at all regardless of the FO or recipe I use. Did you insultate the moldl? I wonder if this is a problem with this shape mold that allows it to overheat so easily? Sorry I couldn't offer any help - just some understanding of where you are coming from.

I didn't insulate. I either stand it on the counter or place it inside a big open pitcher to make sure no one can knock it over if anyone is around. Every time I finish off a can of pringles (way too often for my waistline) I make a soap batch in it - this is the first time I've run into a problem!

And I can see now that even though they are in the fridge, both are fully gelled and still hotter 'n blazes.

Tomorrow should be interesting. Think I'll wait a full 24 hours, and then un-mold over the sink!

I made this recipe but did it in a slab mold and didn't have any problem. I insulated it and it warmed up and gelled. I did read in another post that someone else had the same thing happen with a pringles can....but a different recipe. Anyway I used olive instead of pko in it and don't know if that makes any difference. The soap did turn out awesome for me.

Mine looked like one of those man-eating worms from some horror movie - the end rose up and then split into an X-shape and gaped open.

Sorry to say my camera is on the fritz or there'd be some interesting pics here!

But the rest of the soap is very nice. I have a few white-ish spots in the one that riced, and a couple of pinkings fo spots in the the other, but no one has to know that's not on purpose LOL

I still think its the round molds that are susceptible to this just based on my experience.

Never had that happen with round molds. The pringle cans did cause the soap to rise a bit and then there were dips in a few soaps and that's why I gave up on the pringle cans.

I've had it happen in Pringles and my plastic mold with recipes I've used in my Kelsie and wood molds with no problems. I've learned that when I use round molds to soap real cool (90-100) and keep a fan on it. It is so funny how different our experiences can be.

I made this recipe with olive, pko, shea and mango only. Made HP not CP and it turned out fine. I did have to let it sit a while cause it was soft but I was patient with it. Also, I made it unscented so don't know if that was a difference.

It went in a wooden mold.