M&P Question--Oatmeal Suspension

Alajane

My DIL & I both love the SFIC oatmeal soap but there's surely an easier way than this!! The first time I made it, I just melted and poured (that's what it's called, right?). Well, of course most of the oatmeal settled on the bottom of the mold. So I remelted the bars and kept stirring until it cooled enough that the oatmeal remained suspended.

Then this past weekend, I needed to make more and chose a a 2-pound size rectangular box to use for a mold. After I melted the 32 oz of soap, I kept stirring it every few minutes for almost 2 hours before it seemed to be holding the oatmeal in suspension. Then, after setting up, there was a layer of thicker oatmeal on the bottom of the mold.

Surely there's a better way to do this--it's taking forever! (I only have about 8 more pounds of this soap but I figure if both of us like it so much, it might be a good seller and I might need to get more if I can get it figured out!)

TIA,

Jane

the finer the oatmeal the better it will suspend of course, and the only thing I do different that what you decribed, is I dont stir so much, after I add oatmeal and fo or whatever else, I let it sit, until a skin forms on top then stir it well, sometime I will let it skin twice and stir before pouring.. also if yu just have too much oatmeal per lb, some of it is just gonna settle, if this doesnt work for you I would try reducing the amount or buy a supsending Mp base, or buy some cosmetic grade silica and make your own.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually didn't even add any oatmeal; I used the SFIC oatmeal base that already has finely ground oatmeal in it. I wonder if part of my problem is that I melted it in a 32-oz Pyrex measuring cup, which is really thick glass. It may be that it's so well insulated it takes forever to cool down enough.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually didn't even add any oatmeal; I used the SFIC oatmeal base that already has finely ground oatmeal in it. I wonder if part of my problem is that I melted it in a 32-oz Pyrex measuring cup, which is really thick glass. It may be that it's so well insulated it takes forever to cool down enough.

I use a pyrex cup too but I also found that for the oatmeal to suspend you really have to do smaller batches, the larger ones just take to long to cool down enough and the bigger surface area exposed creates a thicker harder to melt back in skin. I think the most I could get done at once was a pound.

If your set on a 2 lb batch I'd try melting in 2 smaller cups and just pouring them in at the same time.

Sami

PS I so dig the oatmeal for my son who has excema and cannot keep his legs clean, washes great and doesn't dry out the rashy spots.

I do 2# all the time. I melt it down in my presto pot, then once it's melted I put it in my pour pitcher add scent & oatmeal, stir every once in a while and once it starts to look like pancake batter I pour. Works every time for me. HTH Cindy/WI

I do 2# all the time. I melt it down in my presto pot, then once it's melted I put it in my pour pitcher add scent & oatmeal, stir every once in a while and once it starts to look like pancake batter I pour. Works every time for me. HTH Cindy/WI

Cindy, I'll bet it would work much better if I put it in one of my metal pour pitchers after melting instead of leaving it in the Pyrex. I really think that thick glass is probably the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Jane

Can't say for sure this will help since I don't use this particular base, but you might try *not* melting it all the way ~ zap it in the micro for 30 sec. at a time, take out and stir, and when you've got quarter sized chunks, stop heating and just stir until the chunks dissolve.

I always transfer from my presto pot to a metal pour pitcher. I'm guessing here b/c I've never really timed it but for a 2# batch it might take up to 30-45 mins. b/f it's cooled down enough to pour. But like I said I stir here and there through the 30 mins. and once you feel it looks like pancake batter pour but pour fast b/c once it gets to that point it seems to thicken up real fast. I was told this by some wonderful person (can't remember their name) when I first started out making oatmeal soap. I will tell you it took me a few tries b/f I really got the hang of it and knew just what to look for. now I pretty much can pour every time at the right time. lol :) HTH Cindy/WI

Cindy, I'll bet it would work much better if I put it in one of my metal pour pitchers after melting instead of leaving it in the Pyrex. I really think that thick glass is probably the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Jane

Followup--I believe transferring the soap from the heavy measuring cup will do the trick. I made coffee soap last night, suspending coffee grounds. I started out in the measuring cup, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes or so. Then, since all my pouring pots had wax in them (I'm getting ready for a show this weekend!), I grabbed a shallow plastic container and dumped the soap into it. Within about 5 minutes, it had thickened enough for me to pour into the mold, and the coffee grounds are beautifully suspended all through it. I tried the soap in the shower this morning and it's wonderful!

Thanks for your suggestions,

Jane