My very first question (awwww, isn't it cute?!)

GMM

Last night I made a castile soap. 90% Pomace Olive Oil and 10% Castor Oil. I figured it'd take a long time to trace since I hand stir. So, as I added the lye solution, I stirred briskly, then continued to stir for about 15 minutes, then left the room to have dinner. When I came back into the kitchen about 45 minutes later, I was at a heavy trace. Does this sound normal? Isn't a mostly OO soap supposed to take hours, even days, to trace?

I went ahead and poured it into a mold, then today did the zap test. No zap, no separation of oils/lye, and in fact it's starting to look like soap already. Is this just a fluke, or does the CO have some effect on the OO that I haven't read about?

Thanks a million!

Gina

Not using a stick blender, just a stainless steel whisk. I was just so surprised that it would reach heavy trace (and I do mean heavy) so quickly, being all soft oils, and all veggie. Everything I've read about "pure" castile soap is that it takes soooooooo long to reach trace. Well, once it's cured for a little bit, I'm going to try to use it, and if if does not burn my skin from my body I'll consider it good. ;)

I don't think I'm doing anything really out of the ordinary or special enough to post pictures of them. Y'all are doing some really spectacular stuff here! Maybe when I get good enough to swirl or make up my own fabulous soap recipes. For now I'm just sticking with herbals. Last night I melted a pound down and made chamomile/lemon soap. So far it's looking and smelling very nice. Subtle, subtle scent, but that's what I like. Once I'm out of the shower I don't want to smell like anything until I put on my perfume.

I just made it tonight with pomace olive oil. Other times I used regular OO. What a difference that solvent extraction makes! My soap (just poured) is a creamy brown color - like faded carmel, and it came to trace very fast - I think I used my SB for like 20 seconds to get heavy trace. I did soap with pretty hot lye sol'n but still!

Since I would like it to be as white as possible I put it in the fridge - maybe if it doesn't gel...?

This was my first batch in over 6 weeks. Can't get to my colors or most of my FOs, etc - but I just HAD to make something!

My pomace OO soap ended up a lovely light cream color. I did not add anything to it. It's a lovely soap--very mild, decent creamy lather, and I love the way my skin doesn't feel all tight when I get out of the shower.

One of my friends who uses it told me she doesn't feel the need to instantly moisturize upon toweling off, but that she also doesn't feel "greasy." I take that as a nice, big compliment! :)