Weighing Help Please

ladysj

Ok I have my recipe ready. I'm trying to measure my water and lye. The water calls for 18.24 ounces and my lye is 6.82 ounces or in grams

517.095 & 193.334. I've been told grams are easier when making small batches. Okay here is the thing. My scales won't do 18 with a .24 that I have found yet. So I thought I would measure 18 ounces then .24. I'm just not sure how to get the .82 for my lye. On the grams side I have this first 0kg and then 3 more 000's. Could someone please explain where my decimal would be on the grams I'm half blind lmao and I sure as Hell don't see a decimal. I tried measuring grams but it just seems like I am coming up with way too much stuff. So would I weigh until the first zero goes to 517 and then the last 3 zero's would be the .095. Yes, I feel like a real dumb Ass.

What kind of scale do you have? Is there a choice between oz or oz with pounds? If so then you would be able to weigh 1# 2.24 oz for the water. I ran into this problem when I first started before I got a better scale and I just rounded. I wouldn't round the lye up though, if you could weigh to the 1/2 oz, like 6.5, you would just have a more superfatted soap. What is your superfat at now? For the water, if you have a hair less, it won't hurt. What process are you doing?

There is no choice with oz or oz with pounds that I can find. When it hits 16 ounces it goes to a pound measurement they are postal scales. I'm going to be trying Quiet Girls recipe she just posted. My superfat is at 5%. I don't know how to figure out what to do on the .82. I thought for sure these darn scales would measure the way I needed them to. Crapola lol Can ya tell I'm a little ticked right now.:cry2:

It has 0 for pounds then 0.0 for ounces. I thought for sure this scale would work or I'm just not doing something right.

Ok I have my recipe ready. I'm trying to measure my water and lye. The water calls for 18.24 ounces and my lye is 6.82 ounces or in grams

517.095 & 193.334. I've been told grams are easier when making small batches. Okay here is the thing. My scales won't do 18 with a .24 that I have found yet. So I thought I would measure 18 ounces then .24. I'm just not sure how to get the .82 for my lye. On the grams side I have this first 0kg and then 3 more 000's. Could someone please explain where my decimal would be on the grams I'm half blind lmao and I sure as Hell don't see a decimal. I tried measuring grams but it just seems like I am coming up with way too much stuff. So would I weigh until the first zero goes to 517 and then the last 3 zero's would be the .095.

I hope I'm understanding you correctly. You say on the grams side your scale reads "0kg"? Since 1kg=1000grams=2.2 pounds, and you don't see a decimal on the scale, I'm thinking your scale may not weigh the small amounts you need it to. Do you know what the measurement spread is for the scale?

I think we are all confused about the way your scale measures. If you put one quarter on the scale, what does the weight say in oz and in grams? If it says something like .25 then we'll know more how to help you. If it says 1 or 0 then you need a different scale.

A U.S. quarter weighs 5.67 grams (0.20 ounces) when minted. I weighed three U.S. quarters (2 were state ones, 1 regular) and came up with almost the exact same numbers as they should be.

I notice your scale says your quarter is double that weight. Either you have a special quarter there, or your scale is off. :(

I could have sworn I read that 4 quarters in 1oz. Hmmm

Anyway, for your water I'd just round it to the nearest 10th. 18.2 or 18.3 or 1lb 2.2oz. Does that make sense?

For the lye, I'd round down. Pour the lye very very slowly, a few grains at a time until the scale switches from 6.7 to 6.8. That is close enough and will barely up your superfat. With 6.8oz of lye you are probably making at least a 2lb batch and this is close enough.

edit: After reading mag's post I think you should find out if the scale is acurate. Try it again with a different quarter. If your scale is that off, your soap could be dangerous.