Pricing Gift Baskets

Jane42

This is our first "official" Holiday season selling candles, so we are making some baskets and shrink wrapping them (good grief, that looks easier than it is!! lol). Anyway, all the baskets are done BUT we need some guidance on pricing.

Do you just go by the pricing on the items, add the basket, filler, etc. or do you take the cost price of all items, then do your markup? (For the pricing of our candles, air fresheners, etc., we are just doubling the cost price and adding 10% for packaging.)

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give us.

Jane

Thanks for the tips! I did check out a couple of other baskets that candle stores carry, and when I priced them out it looked like they were really just charging for the items in the basket - not the basket and filler. I would love to use nicer baskets, but if this is going to be the case, I would lose money. I guess my markup may need some "tweeking"! At this point, I think I will take your advice and just add the cost of the basket and filler - no markup on that - and then the regular retail prices of the items in the basket.

Due to my very inexperienced shrinkwrapping skills, I don't think I have anything remotely "gorgeous" :laugh2: , but the second day did go alot better than the first. Some of the shrink wrap seemed to be a heavier type, and that was hard to seal without it being noticeable, especially right where you didn't want it!! Last night, I used a thinner shrinkwrap, and it went alot smoother!

Thanks again!

Jane

• 1 year later...

I need help on ideas for candle basket. A guy that works with my husband ordered a $100.00 candle basket today. He doesn't even know what type of scents his wife likes. I've done smaller baskets before but never one at this price. I only make container candles and votives. I need ideas on how to do this "mondo" basket? Please give me your thoughts and opinions ASAP. Ginger

I don't know what size or price your candles are, but do a "year" of candles. One for every month. If you want to do votives, do 4 or 6 votive packs for a specific month or holiday. As a candle consumer, I would love that gift. I did a $100 gift basket for a friend (but it was at my cost, she had a HUGE basket) and she loved it. I did melts, containers, votives, a reed diffuser and votive cups and bought a lighter and a wick trimmer for it.

I do alot of candle gift baskets this time of year, it can be fun...be creative and colorful!

Well, I posted this last season....lol...I didn't notice that at first and was going to respond "Hey, I had those same questions last year.....:laugh2: :rolleyes2

We ended up buying some baskets from Pier 1 that were on clearance. I spent the summer spray painting them - there are some great colors and textures out there - and have been using them this season. They only cost $1.50 each on clearance, so our markup did not have to be much. They were a very nice size - large enough to hold a large candle, some votives or a tealight burner, and some decorations that we picked up from Michaels. We had a "basket making" party one night and friends of ours came over and we just put everything out and let them do their thing. Some people just seem more artistic when it comes to that than I am!

We added the cost of the basket and the regular price of the items inside, then added 15% onto that to cover the filler and shrinkwrap.

If I were doing a "large" basket, I would probably put a cachepot warmer with several different wickless candles - a winter scent, summer scent, etc. Maybe a tealight warmer, with several different melts and a supply of tealights. A couple votive holders with, again, a variety of votives. Or even a variety of your candles, filled in with fancy votive holders and a variety of votives?

Or check out the baskets at some of the "other" candle stores and see how they do it...

Good Luck and congrats on the order!

Kinda of freaky when you read something that sounds familiar only to find out it was your post...I've done that before. I was just reading through some past post looking for answers and found yours. Thanks for your ideas. I got rid of grandson today so I'll have more time tomorrow to really plan this basket out. Ginger