Wholesale Pricing for an upscale line?

ubure

I have a wholesale customer for whom I will develop and make an upscale candle line. She is going to order about 200 candles first, but will reorder and give me follow-up orders. Also she has wholesale customers she has already talked to about her new candles and they want to have their own candles as well.

What pricing can I offer? Normally 50%, but as this will be a big account...I just don't know!

Help please!!

Inez, my best advice on this one is to charge her 2x's you cost, put a little cushion in there, I always do, and then offer her a 5 % or 10 % discount depending on what she spends. I have an account that buys large volume, I give them 10 % off 1000 dollars and up and free delivery. It is about a 2 hr drive one way for me. So they save on shipping and get the 10%. They seemed very happy with that.

I can tell you this, Yankee Candle doesn't offer me discounts if I by 100 candles or 1,000 candles wholesale. Their price is their price, period. I don't think you should offer her discounts to start out with, just for ordering 200 candles. The time to offer her discounts is after she's placed her order and proves herself to be a repeat customer. Maybe you can give her 10% off her next order over X amount of dollars.

You're creating a custom, upscale line for her and aren't even charging her a special set up fee, I'm assuming. That in itself is a discount you are giving her, and that should be made clear to her.

Let her believe that it is quite an involved process for you to create this for her, with the forumulas you will be working on and the exclusive fragrances you must research for her in order to produce this magnificent candle line.

I think Cindy had a good idea for you.

Thank you so much for your advice! You're absolutely right about this, and I have offered her what Cindy advised me to (without the 10% discount).

She's very happy with all my conditions and so am I. She also has talked to some of her major customers and they are all so enthusiastic about the candles - all of them want them. So I guess orders will follow (hopefully).

And Yankee? I've sold their candles for two years here in Germany - what a crap, and what a retailer unfriendly company!

Thank you!!:smiley2::smiley2:

I have only been doing wholesale for 1 year now and one thing you have to learn is don't offer any discounts unless you are willing to offer that to everyone you wholesale to. Word gets around and if one company is getting a kickback or discount than they decide to tell another merchant than it could be messy. Keeping all business transactions professional is always best.