Display by color or scent?

ah-soy

I have vertical shelves.. the one for my jar candles has 6 shelves and is about 5 1/2' tall. Top shelf [shelves are 11 scents wide] are the 'seasonal' favorites. Then the second shelf are the new ones I've added that would be good for the time of year. Then next 4 are the regulars in alphebetical order. I do this to have the new/popular right up in their face. If they have to have lavender in the fall, they will look for it. Those top 2 shelves get the most action and are setup to get then sniffing.

Thank you both...I keep trying different ways. Wanting it to be eye catching and easy to shop for those who have scent favorites. I have two folding bakers racks with 4 shelves each (too tall to put on tables, but I may raise them up with bed risers). Also thinking of using cardboard risers on those since that would give me two levels per shelf.

Probably should get out to a few candle shops and see how they do it, plus will scope out a big show this weekend.

I personally think my candles look great:D , but am having display issues...to anal for my own good!

Last year at the shows I did them all alphebetically. Those shelves give me 66 fragrances. I noticed that most people just smelled the stuff on the top 2.. so if those did not catch their interest, they were gone. I've sold more this year by putting the stuff for the season right on top... they go right on down the line. I then get a chance to point out the new ones that are interesting [second shelf], they start sniffing those and pretty soon they are putting candles on the counter to take home.

What ever you do watch and learn from the customers. They are used to being merchandised to. I have found they are attracted to the name first so not sure arrangement by color is going to be effective. Grouping by category is not as intuitive for finding a fragrance to a non candlemaker. Is pumpkin a spice or food type scent. Alphebetical draws their eyes along.. if they are looking for pumpkin they have to go past pecan pie and pomegranate. Hmmm, what does the pomegranate smell like, and they try it out. If the booth is busy they don't need my help to find if I have a fragrance.

I guess different things bring success to different people, but I would take a tip from Yankee, who spends major bucks doing studies on exactly that type of issue.

With Yankee candles, they have found that it is COLOR that sells candles first. Anyone who has spent time in their stores will recognize the "color bands" -- which are the lightest color candle at one end, and the darkest color at the opposite end of the shelf.

They have specifically stated that this method sells better than alphabetized or scent categorized candles, and recommend that retailers follow their method of display.

Just thought some of you might want to consider that.

When I shopped at Yankee I did like the color set up because I knew the colors of the candles that I had liked, but never ventured into anything new. For me, at shows, I tend to put them together in groups, but within the group I would place two tha compliment each other. I had creme brulee next to capp. hazelnut and also sold the two together. I sold it as the "dessert collection." It worked this year, next year, could be a whole different story.

I kind of do both if I can. Sometimes I'm going in circles - I'll start with a center of color, then put something next that blends with it scent wise, then maybe I'll do a color match... it all makes sense when you look at it. I'll start with lavender, then do some yellows which go into the citrus types, then ground the citrus with down home types... I make sure the scents are complementary, because after they sniff a citrus, they might not like a milky/creamy scent.

I guess I blend things together like I'd blend food, and decorating a house color wise.

It's hard thinking like a customer! If we all could we'd be reporting $1000 days consistently :) Trial and error, and every fair is different.