smooth votive tops

okay, I was working on my second batch of votives yesterday and I can't get my repours to look nice. There is a line between my original pour and my second pour. I had my second pour about 10-15 degrees hotter than my first. Also, I have lines in my votives. Not sure if they are jump lines or what. they don't look too bad (more rustic than anything, I guess, which would be okay for my line), but didn't know if I could prevent them. I am currently using 6228 because I could get it locally, but they weren't sure if they were going to be able to continue to carry it any longer. I ordered some 4794 for after I am finished with the 6228.

I am using wick pins and poly molds.

Thanks,

Steph

How long are waiting to do a re pour? If you are not waiting more than a few hours before you do a re pour that may be way you see a line??? I know when I poured my votives too cold I would have jump lines. I think votives are cool but they kind of stink to make! LOL...:smiley2:

I use 6228 for my votives too. I do the original pour at 180 and pour to just the top of the mold. I hit the tops briefly with the heat gun then do the repour at 180. Also since 6228 shrinks so much, I poke 4 relief holes about 1 hr after orginal pour. Good luck.

Hey...I can proudly say that I finally got the knack for getting smooth tops, so noe I can speak on the subject, unlike before. I also use OK6228 and found that in order for the sides not to look frosted or rustic like, I had to heat the molds a tad. In addition, I did three pours, instead of two and I finally got the beautiful tops I've been striving for. First pour, I'd pour just under the lip of the mold, then when that shrunk up completely, I'd pour into the shrink hole just so it filled to the original pour line, then the third pour would top it off, with no shrinkage and a beautiful smooth top. I know it's more work, but it's the only way I could finally get what I was looking for and besides, I don't make a whole lot of them, only for my own use, so time is not an issue for me.

I always do three pours,too. Yes it is a bit more work, but they look so good. The only thing that I do different is to pour them almost overflowing with the first pour, second poor just enough th fill the sink holes, and third, the entire top overflowing the edges a bit. HTH