soap with golden shea?

CareBear

I haven't soaped with it, but i have a bar i received from the swap. The lady who made it used 20% of golden shea, and the bar is absolutely wonderful! it is so creamy, that I feel like i'm rubbing the lotion over my body when i use it. I don't know if it was golden shea by itself, or combined with goat's milk, but that stuff rocks! i'm buying 10 lbs of it! :D

I don't know what SAP value for it, need to research some more. I just assumed it was the same as regular shea.

I think I read on the AK site that the golden shea has more unsaponfiables, sp. Check it out.

no, they actually say it has less unsaponifiables (which is funny, we get confused because everyone always lists only best things about the product, and if it has less of something, we just don't say anything. i was confused too, had to go back and look.

here is a quote:

"While this butter is popular because of its bright yellow color, its unsaponifiable value is not as high as that of shea butter."

so technically soaping with it is not as beneficial as with regular shea... but i don't care what they say, i'll soap with it anyway :grin2:

Funny, I have always thought that golden shea was the same as other shea, just different colors, so I am a bit confuzzled about AK's claims. Being from West Africa I have seen the stuff produced first hand, and its the same process, often fallen from the same tree. Some of the shea nuts produce a different color butter which is due to the shea nut's maturity compared to other nuts that are older. The color can also be affected by the time of harvest, or the region where the nuts come from. But coming off the same trees, they should have the same properties....wouldn't you think?

I have soaped with both, and I soap with Nilotica shea too and I dont notice any differences in any of them, except that my golden shea soaps will darken over time.

Funny, I have always thought that golden shea was the same as other shea, just different colors, so I am a bit confuzzled about AK's claims. Being from West Africa I have seen the stuff produced first hand, and its the same process, often fallen from the same tree. Some of the shea nuts produce a different color butter which is due to the shea nut's maturity compared to other nuts that are older. The color can also be affected by the time of harvest, or the region where the nuts come from. But coming off the same trees, they should have the same properties....wouldn't you think?

according to Akbanga Karite, Golden shea doesn't come from the same trees. I'm copying from their site again :)

"In fact, the African Butter Tree is a completely different species of tree that grows along the rivers in central Togo. Shea trees grow in the open savanna. In contrast, African Butter trees grown in the dense gallery forests along the rivers and streams where water is abundant. Kpangnan is the local name in central Togo for this butter, which is used for traditional skin care."

so i guess the difference is in amount of water the trees get. go figure.

Yea, me too. But I've gotten golden shea from someone else that was a lot more like regular shea - very sticky, but bright yellow. It is from www.soapersupplies.com and the label reads :

Shea Butter, Unrefined Golden

INCI: Butyrospermum Parkii (which is the same name as AK's regular unrfined I think - right?)

I just rubbed some on my hands and it's definately more like regular unrefined shea.

NOT THE SAME as what is in the co-op at all (I have some of that too). I don't think it's a matter of water either. But what do I know?!? Different animal altogether. And fabulous!