Aloe Vera Oil

homespunchic

Hi Everyone,

I've been a recreational soaper for years. Mostly when I get together for the holidays with my mom and sisters. Have a lavender/rosemary soap recipe that I've been wanting to try for some time, but it calls for 1 oz aloe vera oil. Does anyone know what could be used in it's place? Also, the palm oil I have has gone (curdled?) It doesn't smell rancid at all, but just isn't smooth like it was. Does anyone know if it will still behave the same, or if I have to get new?

Thank you in advance,

Tracy

PS=> You all do such beautiful work. I'm currently working full time, raising kids and studying for my CGA nights, so don't have spare time anymore for candlemaking and soaping.....but when I have a moment I get a tea and sit and admire all your wonderful creations. It's "almost" as good.

How long have you had your palm oil? Mine gets real ugly if it melts and then re-sets up. It may not be bad; it just separates and needs to be stirred. (if you really don’t want to use it, you can sub with lard)

I use aloe vera oil, (which really is just aloe vera plant infused with an oil such as soybean or canola) so either of those two would work.

Hi Everyone,

I've been a recreational soaper for years. Mostly when I get together for the holidays with my mom and sisters. Have a lavender/rosemary soap recipe that I've been wanting to try for some time, but it calls for 1 oz aloe vera oil. Does anyone know what could be used in it's place? Also, the palm oil I have has gone (curdled?) It doesn't smell rancid at all, but just isn't smooth like it was. Does anyone know if it will still behave the same, or if I have to get new?

Thank you in advance,

Tracy

PS=> You all do such beautiful work. I'm currently working full time, raising kids and studying for my CGA nights, so don't have spare time anymore for candlemaking and soaping.....but when I have a moment I get a tea and sit and admire all your wonderful creations. It's "almost" as good.

Yea, palm gets all grainy and lumpy - should be fine. But in theory it's important to melt it completely and stir before pouring off what you need since it can separate out. If you have only been partially melting and then pouring off you need, AND if you have batches coming out odd it is one thing to consider. But overall I think it's ok. I THINK it's really stable and rancid is pretty obvious.

What's a CGA?

As a single mom of 2 youngsters with a full time job I can imagine how busy you are - but this stuff calls to me and besides, all work and no play makes Jack (ok, Jane) a dull boy (girl)...

Thanks Carrie, I'll try the canola and see how it goes. The palm is a year old, but has been kept in a cool area. I think I'll give it a try as well.

Carebear, that was the description I was looking for (grainy & lumpy). I'll remember to stir well. Also, CGA is Certified General Accountant. It's a long process when you're doing it at nights. And I agree with you, you need some play time....quality of life is important. There's also something to be said for having a job where you're creating something you can feel proud of and excited about. Hopefully someday I can get back to that, but for now I'll just support all you amazing soapers at the craft fairs. I never pass by a booth without loading up!

Thanks again...:smiley2: