what happened?? (pic)

latch

This is about my 10th batch of cp..i wanted to try warm vanilla sugar and heres what it looks like!! I am a little concerned because it is very chalky on the edges, is this something to be concerned about? I read in one of my soapmaking books chalky and lots of white powder.. too much lye and not to use? one thing i did was soap when oil and lye were both at room temp or cooler, is that a prob.. i used unrefined shea... mango, olive and coconut oil....

If it's lye you would easily be able to tell - touch your finger to it then stick your finger on your tongue - if it zaps it's lye (rinse your mouth and finger!). If not it's likely just ash and is no biggie.

Your temps and oils are fine - the things that would cause lye to come out of solution are having too much of it (we would need your entire recipe including exact amounts of every oil and lye and water) or not having the lye fully dissolved in the water before you added it to the oils.

Hmmm. Did you cut back on the water? How long was it in the mold (or out) before you cut it? It could just be dry there. Who knows - you can trim up the edges quite easily with a vegetable peeler and make them all trim and beveled if you like.

Glad it's not lye or it's a waste - fortunately lye is quite obvious.

I can't really see any white either, but the zap test should tell ya if it's lye heavy.

As for the yellow color, I think some FO's just react differently. I made a batch of cp the other day and my uncolored portion is now bright yellow. I used white ginger and amber. ???